Calculate Cp of a Gas at STP - 4.48 L & 15°C

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: Cp.In summary, the question asks for the Cp of an ideal gas at STP, given that 4.48 L of the gas requires 12 cal to raise its temperature by 15°C at constant volume. The relation ΔU = nCvΔT is used to calculate Cv, and then the relation Cp-Cv = R is used to find Cp, where R is the gas constant in calorie units.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

4.48 L of an ideal gas at STP requires 12 cal to raise the temperature by 15°C at constant volume. The Cp of the gas is (in cal)?

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔU = nCvΔT
I can find out C_v from above equation but how to get C_p? I assume it would be wrong to use this equation ΔQ=nCpΔT as the process is carried out at constant volume and not pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

4.48 L of an ideal gas at STP requires 12 cal to raise the temperature by 15°C at constant volume. The Cp of the gas is (in cal)?

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔU = nCvΔT
I can find out C_v from above equation but how to get C_p? I assume it would be wrong to use this equation ΔQ=nCpΔT as the process is carried out at constant volume and not pressure.

You said you can calculate ##C_v## (and btw, it comes out to be a nice integer, keep everything in cal). Do you know of a relation between ##C_v## and ##C_p##?

Pranav-Arora said:
You said you can calculate ##C_v## (and btw, it comes out to be a nice integer, keep everything in cal). Do you know of a relation between ##C_v## and ##C_p##?

I did use that relation earlier but since the question is an integer type(you know what they mean,don't you?) it won't give me an integral answer(rounding off the digits still gives an answer beyond the range ).

utkarshakash said:
I did use that relation earlier but since the question is an integer type(you know what they mean,don't you?) it won't give me an integral answer(rounding off the digits still gives an answer beyond the range ).

May I know which relation did you use?

I should have said to use a relation between ##C_v## and degrees of freedom. You should be able to calculate ##C_p## once you have the degrees of freedom.

Pranav-Arora said:
May I know which relation did you use?

I should have said to use a relation between ##C_v## and degrees of freedom. You should be able to calculate ##C_p## once you have the degrees of freedom.

Cp-Cv = R

The question does not state the nature of gas. So degrees of freedom is not known.

utkarshakash said:
Cp-Cv = R

So what did you plug in for Cv? Note that it should be in cal. And what is the value of R in calorie units?

R = 1.9872041 cal/K/mole
and Cv you can calculate from ΔU = nCvΔT.
the put Cp-Cv = R

Related to Calculate Cp of a Gas at STP - 4.48 L & 15°C

1. What is the formula for calculating Cp of a gas at STP?

The formula for calculating Cp of a gas at STP is Cp = (nR)/2, where n is the number of moles of the gas and R is the gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K).

2. What is the value of Cp for an ideal gas at STP?

The value of Cp for an ideal gas at STP is 20.79 J/mol*K.

3. How do I convert 4.48 L to moles for this calculation?

To convert 4.48 L to moles, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT. Rearrange this equation to solve for n, where n is the number of moles. Then, plug in the given values of P (1 atm), V (4.48 L), T (15°C converted to Kelvin), and R (8.314 J/mol*K) to solve for n.

4. Can I use this formula to calculate Cp for any gas at STP?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate Cp for any gas at STP as long as you have the number of moles of the gas and the gas constant. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes an ideal gas behavior, so it may not be accurate for real gases.

5. Why is it important to know the value of Cp for a gas at STP?

Cp is an important thermodynamic property of a gas and is used in various calculations, such as determining the heat capacity of a system or the change in enthalpy of a reaction. It is also used in the design and operation of industrial processes involving gases. Knowing the value of Cp at STP can provide valuable information for these applications.