How to calculate the distance that a bungee will extend....

• B
  • Thread starter Siddhartha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bungee
In summary, the conversation discusses a school lab where a barbie doll is dropped from a height of 4.94 meters and needs to reach a point 5 cm off the ground. A non-stretchy string is provided to extend the bungee cord, but the teacher notes that the bungee is not a constant spring. The student has attempted to use the formula mgh to determine the mass needed to simulate the extension, but the teacher believes this is incorrect and asks for an explanation.
Siddhartha
Hi. So let me put the situation in context. At school we are doing a lab where there is a bungee and a barbie connected to the bungee. We will drop the barbie from a height of 4.94 meters and need to make it reach a point that is 5 cm off the ground give or take 5 cm. The bungee will not extend the entire 4.94 meters. Non-stretchy string is provided that will provide the extra needed distance. So, how can one do this?

So far I have tried this, but my teacher says it is wrong. I do not understand why. I said the mgh is equal to the energy at the top of the 4.94 meters. It was around 6.5 J. Then I took the height of the classroom and then found a mass that would essentially simulate the same extension. My teacher says this is wrong. Can someone please explain why. I then dropped thee barbie with that mass and then found the length of the bungee and then found the length of the non stretchy string.

Also, my teacher made the note that the bungee is not exactly a spring. The k value is not constant and the graph of elongation vs mass is not linear.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Siddhartha said:
Then I took the height of the classroom and then found a mass that would essentially simulate the same extension.
What exactly did you do?

The barbie will fall down without getting slowed down initially - to stop it before it reaches the ground, you'll need a force stronger than its gravitational force. This extends the bungee cord more than an equivalent mass just hanging statically.

Related to How to calculate the distance that a bungee will extend....

1. How do you calculate the length of a bungee cord needed for a specific jump?

To calculate the length of a bungee cord, you will need to know the mass of the jumper, the acceleration due to gravity, and the desired amount of stretch for the cord. The formula is L = mg/k, where L is the length, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the spring constant of the bungee cord. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before plugging them into the formula.

2. What is the spring constant of a bungee cord?

The spring constant of a bungee cord can vary depending on the type and quality of the cord. It is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m or lbf/in. To determine the spring constant of a bungee cord, you can either consult the manufacturer's specifications or conduct experiments to measure the stretching force at different lengths and calculate the slope of the resulting graph.

3. Can the length of a bungee cord be too long or too short?

Yes, the length of a bungee cord can have a significant impact on the safety and success of a bungee jump. If the cord is too short, the jumper may hit the ground before the cord has a chance to stretch and slow them down. If the cord is too long, the jumper may not experience enough resistance and could hit the ground too hard. It is important to carefully calculate the appropriate length for each jump.

4. How does the elasticity of the bungee cord affect the distance it will extend?

The elasticity, or stretchiness, of the bungee cord is directly related to its spring constant. A more elastic cord will have a lower spring constant, meaning it can stretch further for the same amount of force. This can result in a longer bungee jump. However, it is important to ensure that the cord is not too elastic, as it may not be able to provide enough resistance to slow the jumper down effectively.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance a bungee cord will extend?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the distance a bungee cord will extend, such as air resistance, wind conditions, and the weight and body position of the jumper. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the length of a bungee cord for a safe and successful jump.