Bungee Jumping Spring Constat/Work-Energy

In summary, Astrid is attempting an illegal bungee jump with a 40m long bungee cord and a spring constant of 16 N/m. Her mass is 52 kg. During the jump, she will first fall freely for a distance equal to the length of the cord, then the cord will begin to stretch according to Hooke's law. There are three interesting times in her motion: the start of her fall, when the bungee starts affecting her fall, and when she is completely stopped at her lowest point. At each of these times, different types of energy are in play, including gravitational potential, kinetic, and spring potential. By understanding the relationship between these energies, it is possible to calculate the lowest
bang

Homework Statement

You have persuaded your friend Astrid to attempt an illegal bungee jump from the New River Gorge Bridge. You will provide the bungee cord which has a total length of 40 m and a spring constant of k = 16 N/m. During the jump, Astrid will first fall freely for a distance equal to the length of the cord, after which the cord will begin to stretch, obeying Hooke’s law. Astrid’s mass is 52 kg. The lowest point she reaches before rebounding is _____________ below the bridge.

Homework Equations

No idea really, but I assume:
f=kx
PE=1/2kx^2
PE=mgh
KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the velocity she has right when the bungee is at it's normal length of 40m, but I have no idea where to go from there. The velocity I calculated was 28m/s, and that might not be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two phases to Astrid's motion, so three interesting times. Can you talk us through what's happening with forces and energies at each phase and the three times?

Agree 28m/s, by the way.

So for the first phase I just used her potential energy from the bridge to the extension of the bungee, the next interesting time is when the bungee starts affecting her fall, and the third interesting time is when she is completely stopped at her lowest point. I've found the important information about the first half of her fall, but I have no idea how to approach the second half since gravity has an effect as well.

What forces are acting on Astrid as she falls? Specifically, what forces are acting on her just before she rebounds and how are these forces related?

The elastic force pulling up, and the gravitational force pulling down. How would I relate the two though?

Start by drawing a free body diagram. This should help you visualize the next step.

So I have to figure out the point at which the bungee would completely counteract the force of gravity pulling down. I get 31.85m, which brings the lowest point to basically 70m but that isn't the correct answer.

No, because no net force means no acceleration, not no velocity. If I were you, I'd stick to energies. What types of energy are in play at each of the three interesting times?

Gravitational potential at the top, right before the spring both kinetic and still gravitational potential, and then at the bottom kinetic would be 0 and the spring potential would be at it's maximum?

Right. So can you write an expression for the energies at the different times? Do you know the relationship between them?

Related to Bungee Jumping Spring Constat/Work-Energy

1. What is the Bungee Jumping Spring Constant?

The Bungee Jumping Spring Constant, also known as the spring stiffness or spring rate, is a measure of the resistance of a bungee cord to stretching. It is typically measured in units of force per unit of length, such as pounds per inch or Newtons per meter.

2. How does the Bungee Jumping Spring Constant affect the jump?

The Bungee Jumping Spring Constant plays a crucial role in determining the energy stored in the bungee cord during the jump. A higher spring constant means a stiffer cord and a larger amount of energy stored, resulting in a higher jump. However, a lower spring constant can also result in a smoother and more controlled jump.

3. What is the relationship between the Bungee Jumping Spring Constant and Work-Energy?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the case of bungee jumping, the work done by the bungee cord (determined by the spring constant) is equal to the change in the jumper's kinetic energy. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a greater amount of work done and a higher change in kinetic energy during the jump.

4. How is the Bungee Jumping Spring Constant calculated?

The Bungee Jumping Spring Constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the bungee cord (determined by the weight of the jumper) by the change in length of the cord. This can be measured using specialized equipment or by recording the length of the bungee cord before and after the jump.

5. What factors can affect the Bungee Jumping Spring Constant?

The Bungee Jumping Spring Constant can be affected by several factors such as the material and thickness of the bungee cord, the length of the cord, and the weight of the jumper. Other factors that can affect the spring constant include temperature, humidity, and wear and tear of the bungee cord over time.