Bungee jumping with elastic cord and rigid rope

In summary, the conversation discusses bungee jumping off a building with various factors such as the elasticity of the cord, length of the rope, and gravity. The goal is to determine the length of the rope needed to get as close as possible to the ground. Equations such as mgh=1/2kx^2 and Velocity=2aΔy are mentioned, and it is suggested to use the equation 2mgh=kx^2 to solve for the rope length L. It is also noted that the unstretched length of the cord must be included in the equation L+X=H.
Giff
Happy new year everyone, if I were to bungee jump off a building height H using a cord with an elasticity of 150 N/m 15 m long when it isn't stretched that is tied to a rope of length L (does not stretch), and I have a mass of M and the cord stretches X meters. Gravity is pulling at 10 m/s^2. I want to go as close to the ground as possible when I step off the building. What should the length of rope be?

I know that at the bottom, mgh=1/2kx^2. I also know that the cord + rope is slightly less than the height of the building (L + X = H). The force on the cord must also decrease as the length of rope gets smaller because there is less time for gravity to accelerate me. I also tried Velocity = 2aΔy.

Once again,
mass = M
building height = H
Cord length = 15m
Cord elasticity = K = 150N/m
Rope length = L
Gravity = 10 m/s^2

We need to know the rope length L. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what problem you are having. You get x from your equation 2mgh = kx2 and from that deduce L. One thing, you missed out the unstretched length of the cord in L+X=H.

1. How does bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope work?

Bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope operates on the principle of potential energy and kinetic energy. When a person jumps off a platform, the elastic cord stretches and stores potential energy. As the person falls, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the person to bounce back up.

2. Is bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope safe?

When performed correctly with proper equipment and trained professionals, bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope can be a safe activity. However, there is always a risk involved with any extreme sport, so it is important to follow safety protocols and listen to instructions from the bungee jumping team.

3. How long is the elastic cord used in bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope?

The length of the elastic cord used in bungee jumping varies depending on the height of the platform and the weight of the jumper. Typically, the cord is 4-5 times longer than the distance between the jumper's feet and the ground.

4. What is the difference between an elastic cord and a rigid rope in bungee jumping?

An elastic cord is made of stretchable material, such as rubber or latex, and can absorb and release energy. A rigid rope, on the other hand, does not have any elasticity and is used as a backup safety measure in case the elastic cord fails. Both the elastic cord and rigid rope are essential components for a safe bungee jumping experience.

5. Can anyone go bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope?

Bungee jumping with an elastic cord and rigid rope is not recommended for individuals with certain health conditions, including heart problems, high blood pressure, and pregnancy. It is also important for jumpers to be within a certain weight range to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the equipment. Always consult with a doctor and the bungee jumping team before participating in this activity.