How to Calculate Taylor Approximations for Given Function and Parameters?

In summary, the problem asks for the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th degree Taylor approximations of a given expression for various values of h, with a step size of 0.05, where xo=0 and x=h. The goal is to obtain 19 numerical values for each approximation.
royzizzle

Homework Statement

find the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th degree taylor approximation of:

f(x) = 10(x/2 -0.25)5 + (x-0.5)3 + 9(x-0.75)2-8(x-0.25)-1

for h = 0.1 to h = 1, with [tex]\Delta[/tex]h = 0.05

and where xo=0; and x = h

Homework Equations

N.A

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know what exactly they are trying to ask. I know how to do Taylor expansion. but they don't define their variables and I don't know what x0 and h are supposed to be. Where is the approximation going to be centered? at h or at x0?

and what is the interval for h supposed to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does look poorly written without any other context. But, upon reading again, I would *guess* (not generally recommended) they are asking for (various degress of) the Taylor expansion of the expression about xo = 0 evaluated for various values of x=h where h varies .10, .15, .20,.25, ..., 1.0 (ie, 19 values of h)

Thus, I think they want:
19 numerical values for the 2nd degree Taylor approximation (about xo=0)
19 numerical values for the 3rd degree Taylor approximation (about xo=0)
19 numerical values for the 6th degree Taylor approximation (about xo=0)

Related to How to Calculate Taylor Approximations for Given Function and Parameters?

1. What is the Taylor Approximation method in MATLAB?

The Taylor Approximation method is a mathematical technique used in MATLAB to approximate a function using a polynomial. It involves finding the coefficients of the polynomial based on the derivatives of the function at a given point.

2. Why is Taylor Approximation useful in MATLAB?

Taylor Approximation is useful in MATLAB because it allows for the estimation of complex functions that may not have a closed-form solution. It is also helpful in numerical analysis and optimization problems.

3. How do you perform a Taylor Approximation in MATLAB?

To perform a Taylor Approximation in MATLAB, you need to specify the function, the point at which the approximation will be centered, and the number of terms in the polynomial. Then, you can use the "taylor" function to generate the polynomial and plot it alongside the original function for comparison.

4. Are there any limitations to using Taylor Approximation in MATLAB?

Yes, there are limitations to using Taylor Approximation in MATLAB. It is only accurate for a small neighborhood around the chosen point and may not provide a good approximation for functions with large variations or sharp changes. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the polynomial, which can be time-consuming to determine.

5. Can Taylor Approximation be used for multivariable functions in MATLAB?

Yes, Taylor Approximation can be extended to multivariable functions in MATLAB. However, the process becomes more complex as it involves calculating partial derivatives and using the Hessian matrix. It is also important to choose a suitable point for the approximation to ensure accuracy.