What is the Taylor Series Approximation for f(x)=(x0.5-1)/0.5 and f(x)=(x-1)2?

In summary, the conversation is about solving problems on Taylor Series Approximation, specifically finding the second-order Taylor‐series approximation for given equations and calculating the true and approximate values for x=2. The conversation also discusses using binomial and power series and the concept of substituting x values in a function. The solution is to evaluate the given functions at the appropriate values using the Taylor polynomials.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

Hi!

I have a couple of problems on Taylor Series Approximation.

For the following equations, write out the second-order Taylor‐series approximation.
Let x*=1 and, for x=2, calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation.

f(x)=(x0.5-1)/0.5
f(x)=(x-1)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do the approximation at x=1 for the first problem. However, for the second problem, the second derivative yields a constant meaning that I cannot plug in x=1. What should I do in this case?

I do not understand the following direction:

"for x=2, calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation."

Please help.

P.S. I am sorry - I don't know how to paste formulas within this message, thus, I have to attach a Word document.

Attachments

• First Problem.doc
    118.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Second Problem.doc
    78 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
have you learned about binomial series? If you have you can solve the second problem with it without even thinking much if you know about binomial series and just get the right answer that way.

(1 + x)^p = summation from k=0 to ∞ of (p chose k)x^k

wait nvm i don't think that will work
oh actually you i think you can manipulate it so that way it will

oh my bad you want the power series not taylor series...
so than just do from k=0 to k=2

sorry i forgot how to do the Taylor series and just recalled the summation for (1+x)^p as a power series. You get to the point were you just do these problems so much it's just best to remeber some of the easier ones...

I'm kinda rusty on this stuff lol

look up power series of (1+x)^p as a power series and just do from k=0 to k=2
you can also just put the equation in wolfram alpha to get the answer =O
note that you still have to figure out why the answer is correct =P

P.S. I think there's some other way to do this that I forgot about

but if f(x)=constant
then f(2) = constant
it's not a problem

Last edited:
Kinetica said:

Homework Statement

Hi!

I have a couple of problems on Taylor Series Approximation.

For the following equations, write out the second-order Taylor‐series approximation.
Let x*=1 and, for x=2, calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation.

f(x)=(x0.5-1)/0.5
f(x)=(x-1)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do the approximation at x=1 for the first problem. However, for the second problem, the second derivative yields a constant meaning that I cannot plug in x=1. What should I do in this case?

I do not understand the following direction:

"for x=2, calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation."

Please help.

P.S. I am sorry - I don't know how to paste formulas within this message, thus, I have to attach a Word document.

Why do you say you can't plug in x = 1 in the second case? What prevents you from substitution x = 1 in the formula f''(x) = 2 (for all x)?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Why do you say you can't plug in x = 1 in the second case? What prevents you from substitution x = 1 in the formula f''(x) = 2 (for all x)?

RGV

So you mean that given that f"(x)=2, I can say that f"(1)=2?

Yes.
You may imagine it by thinking it is 2 independently by x.

Kinetica said:
So you mean that given that f"(x)=2, I can say that f"(1)=2?

Of course. That is what we mean when we say f''(x) = 2 for all x. It holds for x = 1 or x = 943.76/sqrt(pi) or x = 10 million, or whatever.

RGV

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Do you know how do I calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation for x=2?

Kinetica said:
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Do you know how do I calculate the true value of the function and the approximate value given by the Taylor series approximation for x=2?

You're given the formulas for both functions, and you presumably have your Taylor polynomials. Just evaluate these functions at the appropriate values.

I got it! Thanks!

Related to What is the Taylor Series Approximation for f(x)=(x0.5-1)/0.5 and f(x)=(x-1)2?

What is a Taylor Series Approximation?

A Taylor Series Approximation is a method used in calculus to approximate a function with a polynomial. It is based on the idea that any function can be represented as an infinite sum of terms, each with a different degree of the independent variable.

Why is Taylor Series Approximation useful?

Taylor Series Approximation is useful because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler ones, making them easier to work with and analyze. It also helps to find the value of a function at a point where the function cannot be easily evaluated.

How is a Taylor Series Approximation calculated?

A Taylor Series Approximation is calculated by finding the derivatives of a function at a specific point, and then plugging those values into the Taylor Series formula. The formula involves a summation of the derivatives multiplied by the appropriate powers of the independent variable.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series are both types of Taylor Series Approximations. The only difference is that a Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series where the point of approximation is at x=0. This makes the calculations simpler, as some of the terms in the formula are equal to zero.

What are some real-world applications of Taylor Series Approximation?

Taylor Series Approximation is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to approximate complex functions in order to make calculations and predictions. For example, it can be used to approximate the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the value of a stock over time.