How to Calculate Impact Distance in Ballistic Motion with Given Energy?

In summary, the launch point of a ballistic launcher is 18 cm above its starting point and the starting point is 35 cm above the bench top. A 10.2 g steel ball is rolled down the launcher and the impact distance is being calculated when UNC = 0.00216 J. Using the equation l^2 = ((20/7)(h1-(UNC/mg))h2, the impact distance is found to be 42.43 cm. However, the computer program is not accepting this answer, possibly due to issues with unit conversions.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

The start point of a ballistic launcer is h1 = 18 cm above its launch point (including the correction for the starting angle) and the launch point is h2 = 35 cm above the bench top. A steel ball rolled down the launcher has a mass of 10.2 g. Answer the following question:

Calculate the impact distance when UNC = 0.00216 J. Express your answer in cm

Homework Equations

l^2 = ((20/7)(h1-(UNC/mg))h2
l = impact distance
g= gravity 9.81
m= 10.2 g
h1 = 18 cm
h2 = 35 cm
UNC = given

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers and solved for l (impact distance) and got ) 42.43 cm, but for some reason the computer program I am plugging it into says its wrong. Can you help me out please? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get 42.43 cm, though I get something similar when i start leaving the units in the form they're in.

Mass is given in grams and h1 and h2 in cm.. convert all to SI units and then back to cm. The formula is a wee bit more complicated than need be... since 35cm = 0.35m = 7/20 you only need worry about h1 - (UNC/mg) = l^2

If this is your only concern then i hope this sorts things out... I'm not quite sure i understand the problem myself but as far as plugging numbers into that formula there seems to definitely be some issues with units...

There are a few things that could be causing the discrepancy between your answer and the computer's answer. First, make sure you are using the correct units for all your values. In this case, it looks like all the units are in centimeters and grams, so make sure you are not accidentally using meters or kilograms. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for g (9.81 m/s^2 or 981 cm/s^2).

Also, check your calculations to make sure you are using the correct order of operations and that you are not rounding any values too early. Sometimes, small rounding errors can accumulate and result in a slightly different answer.

If you are still having trouble, try double checking the formula you are using to make sure you are using the correct one for this specific problem. It may also be helpful to double check your work with a classmate or a teacher to see if they get the same answer.

Overall, it's important to carefully follow the given equations and make sure all units and values are correct in order to arrive at the correct answer. Good luck!

Related to How to Calculate Impact Distance in Ballistic Motion with Given Energy?

1. What is Ballistic Motion?

Ballistic Motion is the movement of an object under the influence of gravity, without any other external forces acting on it.

2. What factors affect Ballistic Motion?

The two main factors that affect Ballistic Motion are the initial velocity and the angle of launch. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact.

3. How is Ballistic Motion calculated?

The equations used to calculate Ballistic Motion are the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time elapsed since launch. These equations can be solved using basic algebra or by using a graphing calculator.

4. What is the difference between Ballistic Motion and Projectile Motion?

Ballistic Motion is a type of projectile motion that only takes into account the effects of gravity, while Projectile Motion takes into account other external forces such as air resistance and wind. Ballistic Motion is often used to describe the motion of objects in free fall, while Projectile Motion is used to describe the motion of objects that are launched or thrown.

5. What real-life applications does Ballistic Motion have?

Ballistic Motion has many real-life applications, including sports such as baseball, golf, and archery, where the trajectory of the ball or projectile is affected by gravity. It is also used in military and defense technology to calculate the trajectory of missiles and projectiles.