How to Become a Physicist without a degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of becoming a physicist without a degree and the options for getting into a MS or PhD program without a physics degree. It is noted that the term "physicist" is not a protected term, but it is important to have significant content and research to back up the title. It is also mentioned that having an undergraduate degree in engineering can be beneficial for switching to physics.
Balabhadruni
Gold Member
iam studying UG Bachelor of Electronics & Communication III year, i wish to end my bachelors and start my private research. my life ambition is to become a physicist, i have published 6 research papers till now in various streams. is there any scope of becoming a physicist without a degree if so how can i become one.
if not how can i get into MS or Phd without a degree.
-thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Formally, "physicist" is not a protected term. You are usually not allowed to call yourself a policeman, a judge, a physician or a doctor of science. But everyone is free to call themselves a physicist, I think. Now, I assume you want to fill this term with actual content. So the question back to you is: what is this content that you want to fill it with? In other words: What would it take for you to call yourself a physicist? Doing your private research usually is something that no one prevents you from doing, as long as this research does not violate any laws or regulations.

As for your alternative question: If I understand you correctly you plan to get a degree. So your question might better be "how can I get a MS or PhD in physics if my BS is not in physics?". An undergrad degree in engineering is certainly worth much more than no degree at all with regards to switching to physics. (EDIT: This sections assumes "end" means "finish" - I just realized it could as well mean "quit").

Last edited:
Likes Balabhadruni

Related to How to Become a Physicist without a degree

1. Can I become a physicist without a degree?

While it is possible to become a physicist without a degree, it is not recommended. A degree in physics or a related field is typically required for most jobs in the field. Additionally, a degree provides you with the necessary knowledge and skills to be successful as a physicist.

2. What are some alternative paths to becoming a physicist without a degree?

Some alternative paths to becoming a physicist without a degree include gaining experience through internships, apprenticeships, or research opportunities. Additionally, some individuals may choose to self-study and gain knowledge through online resources and textbooks.

3. How important is a formal education in physics for becoming a physicist?

A formal education in physics is essential for becoming a physicist. It provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and theories of physics, as well as the necessary mathematical and scientific skills. Furthermore, a degree in physics is often a requirement for higher-level positions in the field.

4. Can I still work in a physics-related field without a degree in physics?

Yes, there are many physics-related fields that do not require a degree in physics. Some examples include engineering, data analysis, and science writing. However, a degree in physics or a related field can greatly increase your job prospects and potential for career advancement.

5. Are there any disadvantages to becoming a physicist without a degree?

One major disadvantage of becoming a physicist without a degree is the lack of formal training and education. This can make it difficult to compete for jobs with individuals who have a degree in physics. Additionally, without a degree, you may have limited opportunities for career advancement.