Nuclear physicist with nuclear engineering PhD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of becoming a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD, the feasibility of pursuing a PhD in nuclear physics with a double major in mechanical engineering and mathematics without a degree in physics, and the differences between a nuclear engineering PhD and a nuclear physics PhD. The speaker also expresses confusion about the job market and inquires about which doctorate would give them better opportunities for research. The responder suggests that pursuing a PhD in a field different from one's desired career path may make the job search more difficult. They also mention that while it is possible to do a nuclear physics PhD with a non-physics degree, it may require more effort. Additionally, they provide a brief overview of the differences between nuclear engineering and nuclear physics and
Sai Maurice
Hello Physicsforums. The title states my main question, but there is a little bit more than is revealed there.
1. Can you become a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?
2. If not, then can I get a PhD in nuclear physics with a double major in mechanical engineering and mathematics, without a degree in physics?
3. What is the difference between a nuclear engineering PhD and a nuclear physics PhD?

I ask these questions because I am very interested in nuclear science and I am especially interested in doing research in nuclear science. I'm a little bit confused about the job market in this field though. Most job outlook sources say that nuclear engineering is supposed to decline by 4% while nuclear physicist jobs are supposed to increase by ~8%. What they don't specifiy is whether or not this applies to nuclear engineering PhDs. I'm also curious because I want to know which doctorate will give me a better opportunity to continue to do research.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sai Maurice said:
Hello Physicsforums. The title states my main question, but there is a little bit more than is revealed there.
1. Can you become a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?
2. If not, then can I get a PhD in nuclear physics with a double major in mechanical engineering and mathematics, without a degree in physics?
3. What is the difference between a nuclear engineering PhD and a nuclear physics PhD?

I ask these questions because I am very interested in nuclear science and I am especially interested in doing research in nuclear science. I'm a little bit confused about the job market in this field though. Most job outlook sources say that nuclear engineering is supposed to decline by 4% while nuclear physicist jobs are supposed to increase by ~8%. What they don't specifiy is whether or not this applies to nuclear engineering PhDs. I'm also curious because I want to know which doctorate will give me a better opportunity to continue to do research.

1. Not trivially. Nuclear physics and nuclear engineering are quite different disciplines, and you'll be competing for postdocs with a less applicable set of skills. I would not do a PhD in one field if you wish to pursue a career (in academia) in a different field. It's just making your life harder.

2. That's less of an ask. I know people who have done nuclear physics PhD with mathematics or chemistry degrees. It's a much sharper learning curve than other students will experience, however. If you can manage a physics minor you might be better prepared and have a more attractive application.

3. If you have to ask, you might not be sufficiently informed about either nuclear engineering or nuclear physics to pursue a PhD. Nuclear physics is physics, and nuclear engineering is engineering.

If you're interested in, say, how nuclei interact on a quantum level, or how to make element 120, or how elements were formed in supernovae, or how the structure of 12C affects its use as a cancer treatment, then you should do nuclear physics. If you're more interested in how to make the next generation of nuclear power reactors, or want to revolutionise nuclear safety, then you should do nuclear engineering.

As to "I'm also curious because I want to know which doctorate will give me a better opportunity to continue to do research." Again, it depends on the kind of research you want to do.

e.bar.goum said:
1. Not trivially. Nuclear physics and nuclear engineering are quite different disciplines, and you'll be competing for postdocs with a less applicable set of skills. I would not do a PhD in one field if you wish to pursue a career (in academia) in a different field. It's just making your life harder.

2. That's less of an ask. I know people who have done nuclear physics PhD with mathematics or chemistry degrees. It's a much sharper learning curve than other students will experience, however. If you can manage a physics minor you might be better prepared and have a more attractive application.

3. If you have to ask, you might not be sufficiently informed about either nuclear engineering or nuclear physics to pursue a PhD. Nuclear physics is physics, and nuclear engineering is engineering.

If you're interested in, say, how nuclei interact on a quantum level, or how to make element 120, or how elements were formed in supernovae, or how the structure of 12C affects its use as a cancer treatment, then you should do nuclear physics. If you're more interested in how to make the next generation of nuclear power reactors, or want to revolutionise nuclear safety, then you should do nuclear engineering.

As to "I'm also curious because I want to know which doctorate will give me a better opportunity to continue to do research." Again, it depends on the kind of research you want to do.

thank you for the information. My school has a program specifically for people who want to double major in engineering and physics so I'm taking that. I've done more research on the issue and I think I'm more interested in nuclear engineering related research. The only problem is that can find job descriptions for nuclear physicists much easier than I can find job descriptions for nuclear engineers involved in research. I'm primarily interested researching plasma physics and nuclear fusion.

Sai Maurice said:
thank you for the information. My school has a program specifically for people who want to double major in engineering and physics so I'm taking that. I've done more research on the issue and I think I'm more interested in nuclear engineering related research. The only problem is that can find job descriptions for nuclear physicists much easier than I can find job descriptions for nuclear engineers involved in research. I'm primarily interested researching plasma physics and nuclear fusion.

Even within those fields, it depends on what type of research you are interested in. For example, would you prefer designing reactors/testing materials (e.g. different metals and superconducting magnets in high radiation/temperature environments) or are you interested in theory/simulations of fusion plasmas? It might be worth checking the research of current scientists such as at PPPL and MIT PSFC. What you'll find are a mix of researchers with backgrounds in various areas (e.g. nuclear physics, mechanical and ee) working on different types of projects.

TheCanadian said:
Even within those fields, it depends on what type of research you are interested in. For example, would you prefer designing reactors/testing materials (e.g. different metals and superconducting magnets in high radiation/temperature environments) or are you interested in theory/simulations of fusion plasmas? It might be worth checking the research of current scientists such as at PPPL and MIT PSFC. What you'll find are a mix of researchers with backgrounds in various areas (e.g. nuclear physics, mechanical and ee) working on different types of projects.
The MIT page on magnetic fusions energy research is my interest. Finding new and better ways to design reactors and confine plasma is my main interest.

Sai Maurice said:
The MIT page on magnetic fusions energy research is my interest. Finding new and better ways to design reactors and confine plasma is my main interest.

With regards to MIT's program, you'll even notice that their particular department is called Nuclear Science and Engineering. Thus I would recommend looking at the researchers who interest you and check their backgrounds. See what skills and relevant expertise would help with the research you're planning to do, and see what program(s)—whether it's in Nuclear Physics or Engineering—helps you get there best. Of course you'll always be picking up new things to learn even outside of the scope of your specific degree.

TheCanadian said:
With regards to MIT's program, you'll even notice that their particular department is called Nuclear Science and Engineering. Thus I would recommend looking at the researchers who interest you and check their backgrounds. See what skills and relevant expertise would help with the research you're planning to do, and see what program(s)—whether it's in Nuclear Physics or Engineering—helps you get there best. Of course you'll always be picking up new things to learn even outside of the scope of your specific degree.
thank you for the advice

Sai Maurice said:
. Finding new and better ways to design reactors and confine plasma is my main interest.

Then a degree in nuclear physics will be unhelpful.

Likes Sai Maurice

Related to Nuclear physicist with nuclear engineering PhD?

What is a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?

A nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD is a professional who has studied and specialized in the field of nuclear physics and engineering. They have advanced knowledge and expertise in the principles, theories, and applications of nuclear energy and radiation.

What qualifications and education are required to become a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?

To become a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD, one typically needs to have a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. This is followed by a master's degree and then a PhD in nuclear engineering or a closely related field.

What are the job responsibilities of a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?

A nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD may work in research and development, designing and operating nuclear power plants, or in the medical field, using nuclear technology for imaging and treatment. They may also work in government agencies, regulatory bodies, or as consultants for private companies.

What are the key skills and qualities needed to excel as a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD?

Some important skills and qualities for a nuclear physicist with a nuclear engineering PhD include a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and excellent communication and teamwork skills. They also need to have a strong commitment to safety and ethical standards.

What are some current challenges and developments in the field of nuclear physics and engineering?

One of the main challenges in this field is the safe and responsible management of nuclear waste. There is also ongoing research and development to improve nuclear energy production and make it more sustainable. Additionally, there is a growing interest in using nuclear technology for medical purposes, such as cancer treatment.