How to Back up List of Favorites

• Thread starter Bacle2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation is about backing up a large list of favorite Internet sites on a Windows 7 system with IE. The individual has experienced crashes and lost the list multiple times, and is looking for a practical solution to back it up. One suggestion is to copy the "Favorites" folder to a backup location, while another provides a helpful link for backing up Internet Explorer favorites on Windows.
Bacle2
Science Advisor
Hi, All:

I have a Windows 7 Pentium system with IE--pretty close to the latest update. My list of favorite Internet sites is pretty large; easily more than 60 items. Sadly, my system has crashed a few times over the last 2-3 years, and I have lost the list each time when reinstalling.
Question: Is there a reasonably-nice way of backing-up the list? If I had only a few items, I could just copy and paste the links to the respective pages into a single page. But with 60+ items, this does not seem practical.

Any Ideas?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can't you just copy the "Favorites" folder to a back up location? (I have zillions of bookmarks. Way more than 60!)

Here you go
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_backup_my_internet_explorer_favorites_in_windows.html

Excellent, thanks a lot.

I would recommend using a browser extension or program specifically designed for backing up bookmarks and favorites. There are many options available for different browsers and operating systems, so it would be best to do some research and choose one that fits your needs and preferences. These programs can automatically back up your list of favorites and allow you to easily restore them in case of system crashes or other issues. Additionally, it may be helpful to periodically export your bookmarks and save them to a separate location, such as a USB drive or cloud storage, as an extra precaution. It is important to regularly back up important data, including your list of favorites, to avoid losing them in the event of system failures.

Related to How to Back up List of Favorites

1. How do I back up my list of favorites?

To back up your list of favorites, you can export them as a file or create a backup of your entire browser settings.

2. Can I back up my list of favorites on different devices?

Yes, you can back up your list of favorites on different devices by syncing your browser across all devices or manually exporting the list as a file and importing it on the other device.

3. What is the best way to regularly back up my list of favorites?

The best way to regularly back up your list of favorites is to use a cloud storage service to store the exported file, or to set up automatic backups using a browser extension or third-party software.

4. Will backing up my list of favorites also save my browsing history?

No, backing up your list of favorites will only save the websites you have saved as favorites. If you want to also save your browsing history, you will need to back that up separately.

5. Can I restore my list of favorites from a previous backup?

Yes, you can restore your list of favorites from a previous backup by importing the saved file or restoring your browser settings from a backup. However, any new favorites added after the backup was created will not be restored.