How should I distribute space among different partitions in Ubuntu?

In summary, I am going to create a dual boot PC with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to use for:- Amazon prime video app- MS office- other applications I need.I will shrink the C: drive by 100 GB and the D: and E: drives by 54 GB each. I will mount the D: and E: drives in Ubuntu. I will reserve 8 GB for the swap area. I was thinking of doing the following:- Shrink C: drive by 100 GB- Shrink D: and E: drives by 54 GB eachOn Ubuntu, I will distribute the 200 GB space in Ubuntu as follows:- / will contain the root
Nugatory said:
You are doing this the hard way.

Easier and more effective is to install Vmware Workstation Player (free for non-commercial use if that’s you) on your Windows installation and then run Ubuntu in a VM. It’s way easier and more convenient to have both Windows and Linux up at the same time (file sharing alone makes it worthwhile) than going through the dual boot rigamarole, you don’t have to disturb your existing windows installation, migration to new hardware and new Ubuntu releases is much easier.

I’ve been doing this for many years, two laptop replacement cycles and two Ubuntu LTS cycles (now on Ubuntu 18) and haven’t found any disadvantages at all. I‘ll forget that the Windows host is there for days at a time until I need to run some piece of Windows software,.
There were certain problems that a VM could not solve. The biggest was that I could not put my PC to sleep; either hibernate, or shutdown. After migrating to Ubuntu (I did not do dual boot because of HDD partition problems), I find that it was not a bad decision. It has got many advantages over Windows -- short booting time, dark theme, a pdf viewer that opens the document at the page I had closed it, frequent and fast security updates, a very good disk partition program (that has helped me recover a previously-unrecognised pen drive), etc.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
There were certain problems that a VM could not solve. The biggest was that I could not put my PC to sleep; either hibernate, or shutdown.
Interesting... suspend/hibernate/shutdown all work in my setup using VMWare and the standard set of vmware tools (which also provide the shared file system and shared clipboard). The only thing that I do have to be careful about is that shutting down the host without suspending or shutting down the guest is an unclean shutdown of the guest - but that's no different than any other application running on the host.

Nugatory said:
Interesting... suspend/hibernate/shutdown all work in my setup using VMWare and the standard set of vmware tools (which also provide the shared file system and shared clipboard). The only thing that I do have to be careful about is that shutting down the host without suspending or shutting down the guest is an unclean shutdown of the guest - but that's no different than any other application running on the host.
Maybe I was a bit unclear, but the missing sleep option was a problem of Windows and not related to VM in any way, so it was not something a VM could solve.