How TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben

In summary, the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben is a common mistake made by users of the calculator when rearranging equations involving exponents. It occurs when users incorrectly input the exponent value, which can lead to incorrect calculations and results. This confusion can have various consequences, such as incorrect solutions and further mistakes in subsequent calculations. To avoid this confusion, it is important to double-check inputted values and be familiar with the proper syntax for entering exponents on the TI-89 calculator. If the confusion does occur, it can be fixed by going back and correctly inputting the exponent value.
Benthal
My TI-89 calculator rearranged $$ 2^{2m+1}-1$$ to $$ 2\times 4^m - 1 $$
I can't for life of me work out how it did it. Is anybody able to put me out of my misery?

Thank you in advance!

Ben

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It used two exponent rules:

[tex]\left(a^b\right)^c=a^{bc}[/tex]

[tex]a^{b+c}=a^ba^c[/tex]

So start by using the second to get rid of that pesky +1 in [itex]2^{2m+1}[/itex]

Oh god! Of course. I must not be feeling well.

Thanks.

Related to How TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben

1. What is the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben?

The TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben is a mathematical concept that was discovered by scientist Ben while using the TI-89 calculator. It refers to a common mistake made by users of the calculator when rearranging equations involving exponents.

2. How does the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben occur?

The confusion occurs when users incorrectly input the exponent value while rearranging an equation on the TI-89 calculator. For example, instead of typing "x^2", the user may accidentally type "2^x". This leads to incorrect calculations and results.

3. What are the consequences of the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben?

The consequences of this confusion can vary depending on the complexity of the equation and the purpose of the calculation. In some cases, it may result in incorrect solutions and in other cases, it may lead to further confusion and mistakes in subsequent calculations.

4. How can the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben be avoided?

The best way to avoid this confusion is to double-check the inputted values before solving the equation and to be familiar with the proper syntax for entering exponents on the TI-89 calculator. Additionally, using parentheses to clearly indicate the exponent value can also help prevent mistakes.

5. Is there a way to fix the TI-89 Calculator Rearranged Exponent Confusion - Ben if it occurs?

If the confusion does occur, it can be fixed by going back and correctly inputting the exponent value. It is important to carefully check the equation and make sure all values are entered correctly before proceeding with the calculation.