How can I get decimal answers on my TI-89 calculator when using pi?

In summary, the person is having trouble with their TI-89 calculator giving an answer in terms of pi instead of a decimal. The other person suggests consulting the manual or using a different button or setting to get the desired result.
Ryuk1990
This is not necessarily a math question, but I have a problem with a TI-89 calculator. Calculating something with pi doesn't give me a decimal answer. For example, if I put in 2*pi, it will just give an answer of 2pi instead of 6.28. How do I fix this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It frequently does that sort of thing, preferring things like 3/5, for example. Unfortunately I have been told not to just give away answers, so I can only say that you have to study the manual. One reason the calculator does that is to avoid the error of round off.

However, besides a certain button, just like with PARI--a free download--you can sometimes get around such things by writing 2(pi)x1.0, and trying that.

Last edited:
Two solutions as far as I can remember. I think there is a setting in modes for decimal or exact and settings, you could switch that.

Or if you press the green button (the one with the dot) it will give answers in decimal if you are in exact mode, and exact answers if you are in decimal mode.

Related to How can I get decimal answers on my TI-89 calculator when using pi?

1. How do I perform basic calculations on the TI-89 calculator?

The TI-89 calculator has a variety of basic functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. To perform these calculations, simply enter the numbers and the desired operation using the appropriate buttons on the calculator.

2. How do I graph equations on the TI-89 calculator?

To graph an equation on the TI-89 calculator, press the "Y=" button and enter the equation using the "X" variable. Then, press the "Graph" button to see the graph. You can also adjust the window settings to view different parts of the graph.

3. How can I solve equations on the TI-89 calculator?

The TI-89 calculator has a built-in solver function that can be accessed by pressing the "F2" button. Enter the equation and press "Enter" to see the solution. You can also use the "Solve" function under the "Math" menu to solve equations with multiple variables.

4. Can I use the TI-89 calculator to perform statistical calculations?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a variety of statistical functions such as mean, standard deviation, and regression analysis. These functions can be found under the "Stats" menu and can be used to analyze data sets.

5. How can I transfer data and programs to and from the TI-89 calculator?

The TI-89 calculator has a USB port that can be used to connect the calculator to a computer. Data and programs can be transferred using the TI Connect software. You can also use the "Send" and "Receive" functions under the "Link" menu to transfer data between two TI-89 calculators.