How specify a particular post in a particular thread?

• Thread starter Mike_Fontenot
  • Start date
In summary: Both do display the link and both do display the original thread. The two approaches differ in that you are logged in as you in one but are not logged in the other.At least that is what I see.
Mike_Fontenot
I've seen some links to this forum that specify a thread ID (with a "t=<number>" field). I've also seen (when I get an email alerting me to a new post on a thread I'm subscribed to) a link which specifies a particular post in a thread, but it uses a "p=<number>" field, and I can't see how you determine that number. (I would have thought that you would specify the thread with a "t" number, and augment that with the actual number of the post in that thread).

Anyone know how to construct such a link?

Physics news on Phys.org
click on the number on the top right of the post, and then copy+paste the resultant address

G037H3 said:
click on the number on the top right of the post, and then copy+paste the resultant address

Hah! I didn't know that trick. Thanks!

One problem with providing links to www.physicsforums.com[/url] is that some people log into [url]physicsforums.com[/URL].

Link to [url]www.physicsforums.com[/url] post:
[url]https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2935216&postcount=3[/url]

Link to the same post, but through [url]physicsforums.com[/url]:

Both of these show the post in question, but clicking on view thread (the clickable text name of the thread at the top right of the window) will only work right when the link agrees with how the you, the reader, logged in.

There is a way around this problem: Use the [i]post[/i] tag. The post in question is post #2935216. Here are a some ways to use this tag (Note that I have put spaces before and after the open/close square brackets to demonstrate):

Default text:
[ post ] 2935216 [ / post] [post]2935216[/post]
Note that the default text looks like a url.

Just as you can do [ url = link_name ] my own title for the link [ / url ], you can do the same with [i]post[/i]:
[ post=2935216 ] berkeman's post number 3 [ / post] [post=2935216]berkeman's post number 3[/post]

Now the "view thread" works regardless of how the user logged in. Note that the same concept applies with the [i]thread[/i] tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, both styles of link work identically (and properly) for me.

For me too (on FF 3.0/OSX). Can retrieve original thread from either link to post.

Gokul43201 said:
Can retrieve original thread from either link to post.
Both do display the link and both do display the original thread. The two approaches differ in that you are logged in as you in one but are not logged in the other.

At least that is what I see. This link, https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2935216&postcount=3, brings up a "View single post" window that shows berkeman's post #3 only. If I click on the text "How specify a particular post in a particular thread?" at top right of that "View single post" window I get a "View thread" window scrolled such that berkeman's post #3 is at the top of the window.

Do what I just described and look closely at the pane containing berkeman's post. Do you see a "Reply" button? I don't because I'm not logged-in as me in that window. I am instead just a guest. If I scroll the window to the top I see a log-in pane rather than a "Welcome D H." pane.

I use the www. physicsforums.com approach to get to this site. For those of you who omit the
www." both approaches might work in full. I don't know because I don't use that route to get to this site. Now I'm curious.

Last edited:
D H said:
One problem with providing links to www.physicsforums.com[/url] is that some people log into [url]physicsforums.com[/URL].

Link to [url]www.physicsforums.com[/url] post:

Link to the same post, but through [url]physicsforums.com[/url]:
[url]https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2935216&postcount=3[/url][/QUOTE]
Exactly. To check out the difference, try to reply with the QUOTE button. You'll be able to on the one but will have to re-log in on the other.

dlgoff said:
Exactly. To check out the difference, try to reply with the QUOTE button. You'll be able to on the one but will have to re-log in on the other.
Thanks! That is a much more direct test of "correctness" than my indirect test in post #8.

It keeps me logged in both ways. I can hit the quote button from either link, and it opens up a reply box without my having to do anything to log in again.

Edit: But on Opera (under OSX), only the link with www keeps me logged in. This is a browser dependent issue.

I suspect that it is a cookie-dependent issue more than a browser-dependent issue. If you have logged on to both www.physicsforums.com and physicsforums.com in some browser and have clicked the "Remember me?" button for both logins you will have created cookies for that browser that remember who you are for both access points.

Double-checked: I get exactly the same behavior with Safari and Firefox (version 3.6.10). One link has me logged in, the other doesn't.

Read further, Mike. I suggest you do the following instead: Get the link to the post in question that shows the post number. Copy and paste just the post number. For the second post in this thread that post number is 2935215. Now create a VB post tag with that post number. This works in two ways, just like VB url tags. One is, sans the spaces, [ post ] 2935215 [ /post ]. Here is how this post tag looks to the reader: [post]2935215[/post]. Note that the presentation is that of a url rather than a post.

The other way is to make your tag a hyperlink. An example: [ post=2935215 ]G037H3's post [ /post ]. Here is how that one looks: [post=2935215]G037H3's post [/post].

The advantage of using post tags is that they always work correctly. A logged-in user can click on the Quote button and be able to respond to the post if you use post tags. That is not always the case when you use url tags.

D H said:
[...]
This works in two ways, just like VB url tags. One is, sans the spaces, [ post ] 2935215 [ /post ]. Here is how this post tag looks to the reader: [post]2935215[/post]. Note that the presentation is that of a url rather than a post.

The other way is to make your tag a hyperlink. An example: [ post=2935215 ]G037H3's post [ /post ]. Here is how that one looks: [post=2935215]G037H3's post [/post].
[...]

Thanks, DH ... very useful.

D H said:
I suspect that it is a cookie-dependent issue more than a browser-dependent issue. If you have logged on to both www.physicsforums.com and physicsforums.com in some browser and have clicked the "Remember me?" button for both logins you will have created cookies for that browser that remember who you are for both access points.
I see now, that's what had happened to me before. Somehow I had gotten logged into the non-www domain even though I normally only access PF through the www subdomain. But after clearing my PF cookies I get the same behavior you're seeing.

The posts by D H in this thread shed light on an important forum software bug I alluded to in post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=292174#post2272578". See item 2, therein. Item 2 eliminates the "cannot log out of forum" browser problem. (Even though item 1 therein does not affect the problem, I listed it anyway, just in case.)

In other words, this is not written anywhere, but we should warn all vBulletin forum users to never go to a vBulletin forum using a bookmark or link that omits the "www." before physicsforums.com. If you do, the forum software has bugs, such that strange browser problems can occur (on some, but not all, browsers).

Related to How specify a particular post in a particular thread?

1. How do I specify a particular post in a particular thread?

To specify a particular post in a particular thread, you can use the post's unique identifier, also known as the post ID. This ID can usually be found in the post's URL or by hovering over the post. You can also use keywords or phrases from the post to search for it within the thread.

2. Can I specify a post in a thread without using the post ID?

Yes, in some cases, you can specify a post in a thread without using the post ID. If the thread has a search function, you can use keywords or phrases from the post to search for it. You can also use the date and time the post was made to locate it within the thread.

3. Is it possible to specify a post in a thread on all platforms?

Yes, the ability to specify a post in a thread is usually available on all platforms, including social media, forums, and messaging apps. However, the method of specifying the post may vary depending on the platform. It is best to consult the platform's guidelines or help section for specific instructions.

4. How can I ensure that I have specified the correct post in a thread?

To ensure that you have specified the correct post in a thread, double-check the post's content, including any keywords or phrases that you used to search for it. You can also compare the post's date and time to the other posts in the thread to confirm that it is the correct one.

5. What should I do if I am unable to specify a post in a thread?

If you are unable to specify a post in a thread, it could be due to the platform's limitations or technical issues. In this case, you can try using alternative methods such as contacting the thread's author or administrator for assistance. If the issue persists, you can reach out to the platform's customer support for further assistance.