How Six 2V lamps could be lit to their normal brightness.

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving lamps and the use of parallel and series circuits. The attempt involves correctly identifying the use of parallel circuits for normal brightness and determining the number of lamps per branch for different scenarios. The conversation also touches on using Ohm's law to solve for potential difference (p.d.) and the need for a new thread to discuss a different problem involving calculating the p.d. across a resistor.
Meezus

Homework Statement

[/B]
NgoAEq6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to attempt this question tbh. In order for the lamps to have normal brightness I think the circuit must be parallel. I also think maybe for A there can only be one lamp per branch because there's only 2V available, for B there can be 3 per row and for C it can just be series? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt seems to be correct.

stockzahn said:
Your attempt seems to be correct.
Thank you :D I guess I did know haha. Any chance you could help with this?

3pZzg52.png

a) I know how to draw the circuit.
b) I'm completely stuck on B. I'm guessing it involves omhs law but I can't see where.
c) I can answer C with Potential difference (V) = current (I) x resistance (R).
d) I'm not sure how to work out this.

Meezus said:

3pZzg52.png

b) I'm completely stuck on B. I'm guessing it involves omhs law but I can't see where.
What is the p.d. across X?

haruspex said:
What is the p.d. across X?

Potential difference (V) = current (I) x resistance (R)

Potential difference (V) = 2 x Resistor X?

Meezus said:

3pZzg52.png

Yes, we'd like to help you with this, but at first please start a new thread with this problem. According to the forum rules only one problem should be discussed in each thread.

Related to How Six 2V lamps could be lit to their normal brightness.

1. How do you connect six 2V lamps to achieve normal brightness?

In order to achieve normal brightness with six 2V lamps, you will need to connect them in a series circuit. This means connecting the positive terminal of one lamp to the negative terminal of the next lamp, creating a continuous loop.

2. What is the voltage required for each lamp to achieve normal brightness?

Each lamp will require a voltage of 2V in order to achieve normal brightness in a series circuit. This means that the total voltage required for all six lamps will be 12V.

3. Can I use a battery to power the six lamps?

Yes, you can use a 12V battery to power the six lamps in a series circuit. Make sure to connect the positive terminal of the battery to the first lamp and the negative terminal to the last lamp in the circuit.

4. What happens if one of the lamps burns out?

If one of the lamps burns out, it will break the circuit and all the other lamps will go out as well. You will need to replace the burned out lamp in order to restore the circuit and achieve normal brightness.

5. Is there a limit to the number of lamps that can be connected in a series circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to how many lamps can be connected in a series circuit. As you add more lamps, the voltage will be divided among them, resulting in lower brightness for each lamp. It is recommended to limit the number of lamps to no more than 10 in a series circuit.