How should physical units be displayed on chart axes?

In summary, the convention for displaying physical units on chart axes varies from country to country. In America, the convention is to use dots between units.
pow216
Hello,

Just wondered what the correct way is to display physical units on chart axes.

Let's say for example thermal resistance of a heatsink extrusion is plotted as a function of length, and so the units for the y-axis are K.W-1

My 'A' Level physics teacher always insisted on (in order that the axes was dimensionless):-
/K.W-1
My previous boss insisted on round brackets
(K.W-1)
and I've seen square brackets in some scientific computing applications
[K.W-1]

Whats the consensus?

Thanks people.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the convention varies from country to country - I often see () in Russian texts.
I used to use [] in my texts (English, Polish, German) and never got it corrected by redactors.
I use () instead of [] if the natural language description is used rather than symbols, e.g.: (arbitrary units)

BTW: what is K.W-1? Shouldn't it be kW-1 ?

Last edited:
So +1 for []

It is K.W-1 Temperature rise in Kelvin per unit power Watt

I would never use the dot, just a thinspace: [itex]\big[{\rm K}\,\,{\rm W}^{-1}\big][/itex] rather than [itex]\big[{\rm K}\cdot {\rm W}^{-1}\big][/itex] or [itex]\big[{\rm KW}^{-1}\big][/itex]

[itex]\big[{\rm K}/{\rm W}\big][/itex] looks OK for me too.

Interesting I have long been under the impression that dots were correct, have a look at #5 here:-

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/checklist.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
It says that both dots and thinspaces are equally valid.
As I noticed - the conventions may vary from country to country - the guide you cite is American one.
I learned such conventions in Poland and Germany - here dots are rarely used, they smell for me with 'primary-school-pedantry'.

BTW - I see one more difference between conventions I used to and those recommended by NIST.
I always type [itex]h=6.63\cdot 10^{-34}{\rm J}\,{\rm s}[/itex], while NIST recommends to use cross: [itex]h=6.63\times 10^{-34}{\rm J}\cdot {\rm s}[/itex]
That may be a cause while I don't like dots between units...
That would be a disaster: [itex]h=6.63\cdot 10^{-34}{\rm kg}\cdot {\rm m}^{2}\cdot {\rm s}^{-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
xts said:
It says that both dots and thinspaces are equally valid

Yes it does, agreed!

The dimensionless option gets my vote.
The oblique ( / slash?) slash needs to be there because the label would, strictly, be W-1K but that could easily confuse a chap.
In (bog standard) algebra, one doesn't use a multiplication symbol between letters, so I should say that a dot is superfluous unless there is an actual 'dot product' involved..

Related to How should physical units be displayed on chart axes?

What are physical units on chart axes?

Physical units on chart axes are the measurement units used to represent the data on a chart. These units are typically based on the variables being measured, such as time, distance, or temperature.

Why are physical units important on chart axes?

Physical units are important on chart axes because they provide context and understanding to the data being presented. Without units, the data may be meaningless or misleading.

How do I choose the appropriate physical units for my chart axes?

The appropriate physical units for chart axes should be chosen based on the variables being measured and the scale of the data. It is important to use units that are easy to understand and compare, and to ensure they are consistent throughout the chart.

Can I change the physical units on my chart axes?

Yes, you can change the physical units on your chart axes. This can be done by adjusting the scale or formatting settings in the chart editing tools. However, it is important to consider the impact of changing units on the interpretation of the data.

How do I label the physical units on my chart axes?

The physical units on chart axes should be clearly labeled to avoid confusion. This can be done by adding a label to the axis or including the units in the axis title. It is also helpful to include a legend or key that explains the units used in the chart.