How Often Do You Fall Ill Annually?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of falling ill and how often it happens on average annually. The original poster shares that they are currently sick with a fever and flu for the second time this year, and wonders if this is more frequent than the average person. They also mention getting a flu shot and whether they should have gone to the doctor. Other users share their experiences with getting sick, how often it happens for them, and offer advice on improving nutrition and discussing with a doctor if they get sick frequently. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the importance of taking care of one's health and being aware of potential underlying issues that may lead to frequent illnesses.

How frequently do you fall ill annually?

• Once

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Twice

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Three times or more

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Defennder
Homework Helper
Ok this sucks. This is the second time this year I'm down with a fever and flu. The first time it happened last semester it lasted for 2.5 weeks. I'm just wondering how often you guys fall ill on average annually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Are you sure it's the flu and not a bad cold? I'm not even scheduled to get my flu shot (which I highly recommend) until October 29th.

Have you been to the doctor?

I can set a poll up for you, if you tell me what you want the poll to ask. I'm watching the season premiere of House right now though.

Yeah I've been to the doc. Thanks for your concern, anyway. Got a bunch of meds and my fever is still persistent after two days. I'm just wondering if I fall ill more often than average. Well a little late to get a flu shot now I guess.

P.S. I just figured out how to set up a poll. Apparently you have to post your thread first and then post your options later.

Defennder said:
Yeah I've been to the doc. Thanks for your concern, anyway. Got a bunch of meds and my fever is still persistent after two days. I'm just wondering if I fall ill more often than average. Well a little late to get a flu shot now I guess.
Well, that's why you should get it verifed that you have the flu, if it's a bad cold, then you can get the vaccine when you get better. The FDA released the 2008-2009 flu vaccine on September 10th.

If your fever doesn't go down after tomorrow, please go back to the doctor.

<pours hot chicken soup into Defennder's computer>

You forgot the option for less than once a year. I have gone as long as 5 years without either a cold or flu. I got my flu vaccination last year for the first time and did not get the flu.

Defennder said:
Ok this sucks. This is the second time this year I'm down with a fever and flu. The first time it happened last semester it lasted for 2.5 weeks. I'm just wondering how often you guys fall ill on average annually.

I hate Fall and Spring

It's so easy to get sick in these two seasons. I got sick around Sep 20 last year (so I escaped Spring because I only get sick once per year - lots of people were sick in those two seasons) and trying best to avoid it. I was hoping to get sick in Summer because I cannot afford getting in the Fall/Spring :smile:

It's easier to escape if you are careful.

Defennder said:
Sorry to hear you're ill Def. I hope get well ASAP.

I get ill less than once/yr. I think being around heavily populated areas like schools or large offices, or even large cities, one is more likely to catch something. My sibblings who work in the medical profession seem to catch some major illnesses pretty frequently.

Yeah I forgot to include the "less than once/yr" option. Anyway it looks like twice a year is rather frequent. I wish I could go on for 5 years without falling ill.

My students usually get me sick once a year. Rarely is it anything more than a mild cold...an annoyance, but nothing that keeps me from going to work and spreading it around to more people. :rolleyes:

Twice a year isn't too uncommon for a lot of people. A cold in the fall when exposed to all the new students at school (or the things their kids bring home from school), and again in the winter/spring when cold and flu season comes around. If you're getting sick more often than that, you should discuss it with your doctor to make sure there isn't some other underlying reason for being more susceptible to illness that you should know about...could be as simple as improving your nutrition, or more complex in terms of having some sort of immune system dysfunction, which is why you should ask a doctor.

Defennder said:

You set your lower limit too high. Once a year was the closest answer for me, but a more accurate average would be 0.053 times per year. Or maybe 0.026 times per year. Somewhere between the two.

I got a nasty cold and pink eye while living in Quebec City this summer. (Only 3 months!) I lived downtown in a kind of guetto area and went out almost every single day. My nutrition was McDonald's, Chez Aston (poutine), Chips and Soda. That's all I really ate all summer. All those reasons lumped together probably gave me both sicknesses.

Otherwise, I rarely ever get sick because I do eat somewhat healthy and I am pretty active. I also do not live downtown. My university is on the outskit of the city and I live nearby.

I voted once a year.

Related to How Often Do You Fall Ill Annually?

1. How is "falling ill" defined for this statistic?

For the purposes of this statistic, "falling ill" refers to experiencing symptoms of an illness that require medical attention or result in missing work or school.

2. What is the average number of times a person falls ill annually?

The average number of times a person falls ill annually varies depending on factors such as age, overall health, and lifestyle habits. However, studies estimate that the average adult falls ill 1-2 times per year.

3. Are there certain demographics that are more prone to falling ill?

Yes, certain demographics such as young children, older adults, and individuals with weakened immune systems are more prone to falling ill. Additionally, factors such as living in close quarters, poor hygiene, and exposure to viruses and bacteria can also increase the likelihood of falling ill.

4. How does the frequency of falling ill change with age?

As we age, our immune systems may become weaker, making us more susceptible to illnesses. Young children also have developing immune systems, which can make them more prone to falling ill. Therefore, the frequency of falling ill tends to be higher in these age groups compared to young adults.

5. Can frequent hand washing and other hygiene practices help prevent falling ill?

Yes, practicing good hygiene habits such as frequent hand washing can help prevent the spread of illnesses and decrease the likelihood of falling ill. Other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, can also help reduce the frequency of falling ill.