How Much Should the Radius Increase to Enlarge the Circle's Area by b Units?

In summary, by how many units should the radius of a circle be increased so that the area increases by b units? By adding x to the radius, the area increases by πr^2 + b.
mathdad
The radius of a circle is r units. By how many units should the radius be increased so that the area increases by b units?

The information in this problem tells me that using the area of a circle formula is needed.

A = pi•r^2

I think b should be added to r and squared.

A = pi(r + b)^2

Can someone provide a one or two hints?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
The radius of a circle is r units. By how many units should the radius be increased so that the area increases by b units?

The information in this problem tells me that using the area of a circle formula is needed.

A = pi•r^2

I think b should be added to r and squared.

A = pi(r + b)^2

Can someone provide a one or two hints?
You certainly should not add $b$ to $r$, because $b$ is an area and $r$ is a distance. Adding a two-dimensional quantity to a one-dimensional quantity does not make sense.

What you want to know is how much to increase $r$ so that $\pi r^2$ becomes $\pi r^2 + b$. Suppose that $x$ is the amount that has to be added to $r$. Then the equation is $\pi(r+x)^2 = \pi r^2 + b$. So you need to solve that equation for $x$.

Opalg said:
You certainly should not add $b$ to $r$, because $b$ is an area and $r$ is a distance. Adding a two-dimensional quantity to a one-dimensional quantity does not make sense.

What you want to know is how much to increase $r$ so that $\pi r^2$ becomes $\pi r^2 + b$. Suppose that $x$ is the amount that has to be added to $r$. Then the equation is $\pi(r+x)^2 = \pi r^2 + b$. So you need to solve that equation for $x$.

I understand what you are saying.

π(r + x)^2 = A + b

π(r + x)^2 = πr^2 + b

(r + x)^2 = (πr^2 + b)/π

sqrt{(r + x)^2} = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)/π}

r + x = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)/π}

x = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)/π} - r

Correct?

Last edited:
RTCNTC said:
π(r + x)^2 = A + b

π(r + x)^2 = πr^2 + b

(r + x)^2 = (πr^2 + b)/π

sqrt{(r + x)^2} = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)π}

r + x = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)π}

x = sqrt{(πr^2 + b)π} - r

Correct?
The method is correct, but in the last three lines you should have $(\pi r^2 + b)/\pi$ instead of $(\pi r^2 + b)\pi$.

Opalg said:
The method is correct, but in the last three lines you should have $(\pi r^2 + b)/\pi$ instead of $(\pi r^2 + b)\pi$.

I just forgot to include the slash symbol in the last 3 lines. It has now been edited.

Related to How Much Should the Radius Increase to Enlarge the Circle's Area by b Units?

What is increasing radius?

Increasing radius refers to the process of expanding the size or distance of a circle or sphere outward from its center.

Why is increasing radius important in science?

Increasing radius is important in science because it can help us understand and explain various phenomena, such as the behavior of planets in orbit, the growth of plant and animal populations, and the expansion of the universe.

How does increasing radius affect the area and circumference of a circle?

Increasing radius directly affects the area and circumference of a circle. As the radius increases, the area and circumference also increase. The relationship between the radius and these measurements is linear, meaning that if the radius doubles, the area and circumference will also double.

What factors can cause an increasing radius?

There are several factors that can cause an increasing radius, such as the force of gravity, expansion of materials due to heat, and the growth of living organisms.

What are some real-life examples of increasing radius?

Real-life examples of increasing radius include the orbits of planets around the sun, the spread of a forest fire, the growth of a balloon as it is filled with air, and the expansion of the universe.