Determining the radius of a concentric circle.

In summary: Assuming that A stands for area of the whole pie, do you need to know A in order to determine r?No, you don't need to know the area of the pie in order to determine the radius that will provide equal amounts of pie.
angela107
Homework Statement
If two people were to have a pie, cut concentrically, what would the radius of the smaller disk be, such that the two individuals will have equal amounts of pie?.
Relevant Equations
n/a
1600278060979.png

A concentric cirlce has two circles with the same center, but a different radii.
We are given a pie with radius ##r##. A circular cut is made at radius ##r## such that the area of the inner circle is ##1/2## the area of the pie.

We know that the formula to calculating the area of a circle is ##πr²## or ##a=πr²## where ##a=1/2A##. Using substitution, we can determing a radius that will provide equal amounts of pie.

##0.5A=πr²##

##r²=0.5A/π##

##r= √(0.5A/π)##

Therefore, the two people will have an equal amount of pie if the radius ##r## of this smaller disk is equal to ##√(0.5A/π)##.

Can someone confirm if my work is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you write is confusing because you have used the symbol r to mean two different things. You said,"We are given a pie with radius r. A circular cut is made at radius r such that the area of the inner circle is 1/2 the area of the pie." So you used r for both the larger radius and the smaller radius. Why don't you call the radius of the whole pie R? I think your work is correct, but I think your should express your final answer for r in terms of R, and not in terms of the area A. If you do that, what do you get?

Likes Lnewqban
Assuming that A stands for area of the whole pie, do you need to know A in order to determine r?
Could you make r a function of R only, which is the easiest dimension to know?

angela107 said:
Therefore, the two people will have an equal amount of pie if the radius ##r## of this smaller disk is equal to ##√(0.5A/π)##.
This is correct, but you should give r in terms of the radius of the pie, which others in this thread are labelling R.

Likes Lnewqban
phyzguy said:
What you write is confusing because you have used the symbol r to mean two different things. You said,"We are given a pie with radius r. A circular cut is made at radius r such that the area of the inner circle is 1/2 the area of the pie." So you used r for both the larger radius and the smaller radius. Why don't you call the radius of the whole pie R? I think your work is correct, but I think your should express your final answer for r in terms of R, and not in terms of the area A. If you do that, what do you get?
Sorry, I didn't notice I had two different R's! I will make a correction. Thank you :)

Related to Determining the radius of a concentric circle.

1. What is a concentric circle?

A concentric circle is a type of geometric figure where two or more circles share the same center point. This means that the circles have the same radius and their circumferences are equidistant from the center.

2. Why is it important to determine the radius of a concentric circle?

Determining the radius of a concentric circle is important in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and architecture. It allows us to accurately measure and calculate the area, circumference, and other properties of the circle, which can be useful in solving real-world problems.

3. How can I determine the radius of a concentric circle?

To determine the radius of a concentric circle, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance from the center point to any point on the circle's circumference. This distance is equal to the radius of the circle.

4. Can the radius of a concentric circle be negative?

No, the radius of a concentric circle cannot be negative. Since the radius is a measure of distance, it can only be a positive value.

5. Are there any formulas for calculating the radius of a concentric circle?

Yes, there are several formulas for calculating the radius of a concentric circle. One of the most common is the Pythagorean theorem, where the radius is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the circle's x and y coordinates. Another formula is the distance formula, which uses the coordinates of two points on the circle to calculate the radius.