How much power is needed to pull 2 persons through water

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a device to pull two people through water at a desired speed, similar to a sea scooter used by divers. The main concern is finding an equation that takes into account the drag and the weight of the two people, as well as determining the appropriate power in watts for an electric motor. The suggested solution is to measure the drag force by towing two people behind a boat at the desired velocity. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the grip strength of the lifeguard in controlling the device.
glenn0010
Hey guys,

I am planning to do a project which can pull 2 persons through water at some speed. For example a casualty and a lifeguard This would be similar to a sea scooter which divers use, however it floats on the water only it does not dive.

I am not sure whether to post it here or in the differential equation section.

Is there some kind of equation that I can use? I am looking for an equation which takes the 2 persons into consideration (average) and also you can enter thee seed at which you want them to travel. Hopefully it takes into account the drag as well. The output I want is power in watts so that I can choose the appropriate electric motor.

Best Regards Glenn

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps what you need is this equation..

Power = force * velocity
or in this case
Power = drag * velocity

The easiest way to find out the drag force is to actually tow two people behind a boat at the required velocity and measure the tension in the tow rope.

CWatters said:
The easiest way to find out the drag force is to actually tow two people behind a boat at the required velocity and measure the tension in the tow rope.
An excellent suggestion.

In practice, one may find that the controlling factor is force -- how much grip strength does the lifeguard have on the tow line and on the person being rescued? Paddling a kayak, I can pull 1/4 inch nylon through a swimmer's hands pretty easily.

Related to How much power is needed to pull 2 persons through water

1. How is power measured when pulling 2 persons through water?

Power is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied (in newtons) by the velocity at which the force is applied (in meters per second).

2. What factors affect the amount of power needed to pull 2 persons through water?

The amount of power needed is affected by the weight of the persons being pulled, the drag force of the water, and the speed at which they are being pulled.

3. Is more power needed to pull 2 persons through water compared to pulling 1 person?

Yes, more power is needed to pull 2 persons through water compared to pulling 1 person. This is because the total weight being pulled is greater, resulting in a higher force required to move them through the water.

4. Does the type of water affect the power needed to pull 2 persons?

Yes, the type of water can affect the power needed to pull 2 persons. For example, rough or choppy water will create more drag force, requiring more power to overcome it compared to calm water.

5. How can the power needed to pull 2 persons through water be reduced?

The power needed can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the persons being pulled, reducing the drag force by streamlining the shape of the object being pulled, or by increasing the speed at which they are being pulled.