How would a person under water see sunset and sunrise?

In summary, the underwater observer would see that both the time of sunrise and sunset and the angular span of the horizon remain unchanged. Therefore, option 1 is correct. As for the question of why one would increase and the other decrease, it is not clear without further context or information.
baba bakjohikoplop
A person completely under sea water tracks the sun. Compared to an observer above water, which of the following observation would be made by the underwater observer?

1. Neither the time of sunrise or sunset nor the angular span of the horizon changes
  2. sunrise is delayed, sunset is advanced but no change in angular span of horizon
  3. sunrise and sunset time remain unchanged, but angular span shrinks.
  4. the duration and angular span of horizon both decrease.
P.S. I am a math student but this question was asked in the general section of an exam

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the problem?

Drakkith said:
What are your thoughts on the problem?
I have no idea as i am a math student and this question came in general section of a math exam i gave. I guess option 4, so I want to check my answer. If you know please let me know

Well, just examine each answer and see if it even makes sense. Answer 4 gives two parts:

1. The duration of sunset and sunrise is shorter.
2. The angular span of the horizon is decreased.

What are your thoughts on 1 and 2?

Drakkith said:
Well, just examine each answer and see if it even makes sense. Answer 4 gives two parts:

1. The duration of sunset and sunrise is shorter.
2. The angular span of the horizon is decreased.

What are your thoughts on 1 and 2?
I think angular span will be shorter definitely. But one time should increase and one should decrease as far as sunrise and sunset are concerned.

Okay. Why would one increase and the other decrease?

Related to How would a person under water see sunset and sunrise?

1. How does the water affect the appearance of the sunset and sunrise?

Water has a significant impact on the appearance of the sunset and sunrise. When light from the sun enters the water, it undergoes refraction, which causes the light to bend and change direction. This results in a distorted and elongated appearance of the sun.

2. Can a person see the full sunset or sunrise while underwater?

No, a person cannot see the full sunset or sunrise while underwater. The further underwater they are, the more distorted and limited their view will be. They may only be able to see a small portion of the sun's disc or just the colors of the sky.

3. How does the depth of the water affect the visibility of the sunset and sunrise?

The deeper a person is underwater, the less visible the sunset and sunrise will be. This is because the water becomes increasingly darker and murkier with depth, making it difficult to see any light or color from the sun above.

4. Can a person see the same colors underwater as they would above water during sunset and sunrise?

No, the colors seen underwater during sunset and sunrise will not be the same as those seen above water. As light passes through the water, it gets filtered and absorbed, resulting in a different color spectrum. This is why the colors of the sunset and sunrise may appear more muted or blue-green underwater.

5. Is it safe for a person to watch the sunset or sunrise while underwater?

No, it is not safe for a person to watch the sunset or sunrise while underwater. It is important to always prioritize safety when underwater and avoid activities that may put you at risk, such as watching the sunset or sunrise. This is because it can be disorienting and potentially dangerous due to the limited visibility and potential for currents and changes in water conditions.