How much power would this system generate from waves?

In summary: This is why wave power is impractical - the electrical output can never be bigger than the input.In summary, the buoyant mass connected to a system that turns a wheel of an electromagnetic generator pulls the string which generates electricity. The output power of the generator can be calculated by multiplying the torque by the angular speed. The efficiency of the generator affects the mathematics of the calculation. The dynamic rage of the energy in an ocean wave is > 100:1. The systems need instantaneous conversion of about this ratio.
romanex1212
I'm looking for some back-of-the-envelope calculations on an idea.

Say there is a buoyant mass floating on the water. It is connected to a system which, when waves move the mass up and down, it pulls a string which turns a wheel of an electromagnetic generator (assume there is a mechanism which allows only pulling in one direction to spin the wheel). Assuming the wave height and frequency is known, and the mass of the object, how can the output power be calculated?

I think the output power of the generator should be the torque multiplied by the angular speed, but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to complete the process.

Also, how would the generator's efficiency affect the mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

romanex1212 said:
I think the output power of the generator should be the torque multiplied by the angular speed, but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to complete the process.

Yes that's right torque times speed. You have to correct for efficiency, and for the fact that the string stops moving twice each wave, but the principle is correct.

But you are far from the first person to think of this. There are hundreds or maybe thousands of trials and pilot projects already. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

Keep thinking though. Maybe next time you will be first.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:
Yes that's right torque times speed. You have to correct for efficiency, and for the fact that the string stops moving twice each wave, but the principle is correct.

But you are far from the first person to think of this. There are hundreds or maybe thousands of trials and pilot projects already. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

Keep thinking though. Maybe next time you will be first.

I didn't think I was the first, I'm just looking for the correct equations which would give me a better idea of how the system works

Using Buoyancy - how is this not just Mass, volume displaced and Vertical displacement.

So as you displace a volume of water, that much force is applied to "lift" it.

Relevant company = OPT

The energy available is significant, but IMO the technical challenges make this fools errand for generic energy generation. eg -Remote buoy energy generation - OK. Bt look at the stats - this is 10KG system for 100W continuous load)

Likes romanex1212
Windadct said:
Using Buoyancy - how is this not just Mass, volume displaced and Vertical displacement.

So as you displace a volume of water, that much force is applied to "lift" it.
Right; weight of water displaced times distance times frequency of half cycles.

...and being generous, maybe multiply by 75% for efficiency.

My point being discussing the torque and generator is just a mechanical system added to a basic linear force.

Note the dynamic rage of the energy in an ocean wave is > 100:1 . The systems need instantaneous conversion of about this ratio. Want a 1KW converter, you need to handle 100KW to 0KW over single wave cycle.

Likes romanex1212

Related to How much power would this system generate from waves?

1. How does wave energy conversion work?

Wave energy conversion systems use mechanical devices to capture the energy from ocean waves and convert it into electricity.

2. What factors affect the power generated from waves?

The power generated from waves depends on the height, frequency, and speed of the waves, as well as the efficiency of the wave energy conversion system.

3. Can wave energy be used to power large-scale systems?

Yes, wave energy has the potential to generate large amounts of electricity. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed to make it commercially viable.

4. How does wave energy compare to other renewable energy sources?

Wave energy is a relatively new form of renewable energy, but it has the potential to be more consistent and reliable than wind or solar energy. However, it can also be more expensive to harness and convert into electricity.

5. What are the environmental impacts of using wave energy?

Wave energy systems do not produce any carbon emissions and do not require the use of fossil fuels. However, they can have some impacts on marine life and ecosystems, and further research is needed to minimize these effects.