How much grad schools cares about GRE?

In summary: The physics GRE is not a problem, in fact, most universities accept it. However, your english may be a problem, so it's a good idea to get a GRE practice book and do a practice test before you go to apply.
Victor Alencar
I'm 3rd year undergraduate student at Brazil and I wish to apply for some USA universities,but I'm scared with GRE.
I have good and knowed physicists for rec. letters, experience with research and good grades,what are my chances? I'm thinking in 4 uni : Stony Brook,Chicago,Cornell and Penn.
Here in Brazil we have a different type of grades, how the universities will analyse this? Here "GPA" is CR and it goes from 0 to 10,for some long reasons there's not a linear proportion.
Just one more : Some tip for GRE?
By the way, before applying for PhD I'll do my master degree here.
Sorry my poor english, I'm learning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not get an english GRE practice book and do a test exam?

The GRE is sometimes used as a screener. If you did well that is its above some university admissions cutoff you go to step two where they look at other things in your application. Admissions gets so many applications that they look for reasons to reject.

This all depends on the university though. Do you have any contacts or profs you can write to at the universities you want to attend?

Do you need to take a TOEFL too to demonstrate English proficiency too? They would mention it i think on the graduate admission page of the site.

Last edited:
Likes Victor Alencar
Are you talking about the physics GRE or the general GRE?

In the next semester I'll start to study english for GRE and TOEFL.
Dishsoap said:
Are you talking about the physics GRE or the general GRE?
I'm talking about both of them, but the general GRE is my problem because my english is not very good.

My two best contacts did their PhD's in ICTP(Italy) and Dublin University but they have a lot of contacts over the world, I don't know if they have someone in these universities.

Related to How much grad schools cares about GRE?

1. How important is the GRE score for getting into grad school?

The importance of the GRE score varies depending on the program and university. Some programs place a higher emphasis on GRE scores while others may consider it as just one factor among many.

2. What is considered a good GRE score for grad school?

A good GRE score is typically above the 50th percentile, which means scoring higher than at least 50% of test takers. However, what is considered a good score can also depend on the specific program and university.

3. Can a low GRE score ruin my chances of getting into grad school?

While a high GRE score can certainly improve your chances of getting into grad school, a low score does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including grades, letters of recommendation, and personal statements, in addition to GRE scores.

4. Do all grad schools require GRE scores?

No, not all grad schools require GRE scores. Some programs, particularly in the humanities and social sciences, may not require the GRE at all. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in applying to.

5. Is it possible to retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, it is possible to retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that some programs may consider all of your GRE scores, while others may only consider your highest score. Additionally, there may be a waiting period before you can retake the test.