How many transmitters are needed to secure a 3x4 castle arrangement?

• MHB
  • Thread starter bio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the King of the World has built a great tower with laser transmitters, but citizens keep trying to enter and kill him. He has now built nine towers in a 3x3 arrangement, with three new towers added. If you can cover an area with at most two transmitters, the number of towers that can be protected is nine.
bio
Well, I, as the King of the World, have built the great Tower of Me! However, because everyone seems to hate me for some reason, citizens keep trying to enter my tower to kill me. So, I have assigned some laser transmitters in my castle. However, as the technology is new, a laser transmitter can only cover the edge of one tower. An edge of a tower is protected by having at least one transmitter at the end of its vertices. This is my castle at the moment:

View attachment 8101Black rectangles represent towers. Red dots represent transmitters. Orange lines represent laser-protected edges. Purple lines represent unprotected edges.

However, I have been faced with a few problems:

a) My adviser thinks I can protect the castle with only 5 transmitters. I understand that a transmitter will have to protect at least 3 edges, but how can this be done?

Good News! My castle now has 9 towers, in a 3*3 arrangement!

View attachment 8102

b) After working with my advisers for many hours, we found we couldn't use just 5 transmitters to cover this up. So, how do we protect it with 6?

c) However, is 6 really the minimum amount of transmitters needed? Could we use less?

Greater News! My castle is now in a 3*4 arrangement, with 3 new towers!

View attachment 8103

d) However, we've only got 8 more transmitters. So, is it possible to cover this whole area up, and how? If we can't cover them all, what is the maximum amount of towers that can be protected?

Please answer there questions in a 9th-10th grade intelligence level, as I don't understand some concepts in maths.

(Sorry for my bad drawings)

EDIT: In the first drawing, the line extending left from the top transmitter should be coloured in as protected.

Attachments

• laser castle.PNG
    laser castle.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    362 bytes · Views: 77
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    763 bytes · Views: 89
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a variant of the Art Gallery Theorem. Try googling "Art Gallery Theorem".

mrtwhs said:
This sounds like a variant of the Art Gallery Theorem. Try googling "Art Gallery Theorem".

Yes, however AGT is for simple polygons, and the eyesight of the guard can stretch indefinitely. My polygon is irregular, and the laser is limited to the length of one tower

This sounds like a variant of the Art Gallery Theorem. Try googling "Art Gallery Theorem" ... and then look for a variant where guards have limited range. Also, simple and irregular are not opposites of one another.

If you model each picture as a graph with edges along the towers and vertices between the towers then your pictures become a \(\displaystyle 4 \times 3\) grid graph with the lower right two edges missing. The other two pictures are \(\displaystyle 4 \times 4\) and \(\displaystyle 4 \times 5\) grid graphs.

Your first picture can be done with 5, the second with 8 and the third with 10. I have no idea if these are minimal.

For part a), you can place the transmitters like this:
[TIKZ][scale=0.75]
\clip (-0.75,-0.75) rectangle (7.75,8.75) ;
\def\laser#1{\node at (#1) [circle,fill=red] {} ; \draw[ultra thick, orange] (#1) +(-3.5cm,-0cm) -- +(-0.3cm,0cm) +(0.3cm,0cm) -- +(3.5cm,0cm) +(0cm,0.3cm) -- +(0cm,2.5cm) +(0cm,-0.3cm) -- +(0cm,-2.5cm) }
\foreach \point in {(0,0),(0,3),(4,3),(0,6),(4,6)}
\draw[ultra thick] \point rectangle +(3,2) ;
\coordinate (A) at (3.5,8.5) ;
\coordinate (B) at (-0.5,5.5) ;
\coordinate (C) at (7.5,5.5) ;
\coordinate (D) at (3.5,2.5) ;
\coordinate (E) at (-0.5,-0.5) ;
\foreach \point in {A,B,C,D,E}
\laser{\point};[/TIKZ]

For part b), it cannot be done with six transmitters. As mrtwhs has said, you need eight, as for example in this layout:

[TIKZ][scale=0.75]
\clip (-0.75,-0.75) rectangle (11.75,8.75) ;
\def\laser#1{\node at (#1) [circle,fill=red] {} ; \draw[ultra thick, orange] (#1) +(-3.5cm,-0cm) -- +(-0.3cm,0cm) +(0.3cm,0cm) -- +(3.5cm,0cm) +(0cm,0.3cm) -- +(0cm,2.5cm) +(0cm,-0.3cm) -- +(0cm,-2.5cm) }
\foreach \point in {(0,0),(0,3),(0,6),(4,0),(4,3),(4,6),(8,0),(8,3),(8,6)}
\coordinate (F) at (7.5,-0.5) ;
\coordinate (G) at (11.5,2.5) ;
\coordinate (H) at (11.5,8.5) ;
\foreach \point in {A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H}
\laser{\point};
\foreach \point in {C,D}
\fill [black,opacity=0.25] (\point) circle (0.25cm) ;
\foreach \point in {(3.5,5.5),(7.5,2.5)}
\fill [green] \point circle (0.15cm) ;[/TIKZ]

To see that it cannot be done with fewer than eight transmitters, count the number of edges that need to be covered. The nine rectangles have a total of 36 edges, of which 12 are external and 24 are internal. The 24 internal edges are arranged in 12 pairs of facing edges, and each such pair can be covered by a single laser beam. So we need enough transmitters to be able to cover 12+12 = 24 different directions.

A transmitter can cover a maximum of four different directions. But there are only at most two locations where a transmitter can cover all four directions without overlapping other transmitters. (In the above diagram, the two locations indicated by darker red dots cover four directions each. There are two other possible locations for this, indicated by the small green dots. But transmitters placed there would overlap with the edges already covered from the dark red locations.)

Suppose that you only have seven transmitters. Two of them can cover four directions each, but the remaining five can only cover at most three new directions each. So the total number of directions covered by all seven transmitters is at most $2\times 4 + 5\times3 = 8 + 15 = 23$. That is not enough to cover all 24 directions required. Therefore at least eight transmitters are needed for the $3\times3$ arrangement of towers.

It looks to me as though this problem should have had a $3\times2$ arrangement of towers for part b), and a $3\times3$ arrangement for part c). Then the minimal number of transmitters would be 6 for b) and 8 for c), as stated in the problem.

Last edited:
Opalg said:
For part a), you can place the transmitters like this:
[TIKZ][scale=0.75]
\clip (-0.75,-0.75) rectangle (7.75,8.75) ;
\foreach \point in {(0,0),(0,3),(4,3),(0,6),(4,6)}
\foreach \point in {A,B,C,D,E}
\laser{\point};[/TIKZ]

For part b), it cannot be done with six transmitters. As mrtwhs has said, you need eight, as for example in this layout:

[TIKZ][scale=0.75]
\clip (-0.75,-0.75) rectangle (11.75,8.75) ;
\foreach \point in {(0,0),(0,3),(0,6),(4,0),(4,3),(4,6),(8,0),(8,3),(8,6)}
\coordinate (F) at (7.5,-0.5) ;
\coordinate (G) at (11.5,2.5) ;
\coordinate (H) at (11.5,8.5) ;
\foreach \point in {A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H}
\laser{\point};
\foreach \point in {C,D}
\fill [black,opacity=0.25] (\point) circle (0.25cm) ;
\foreach \point in {(3.5,5.5),(7.5,2.5)}
\fill [green] \point circle (0.15cm) ;[/TIKZ]

To see that it cannot be done with fewer than eight transmitters, count the number of edges that need to be covered. The nine rectangles have a total of 36 edges, of which 12 are external and 24 are internal. The 24 internal edges are arranged in 12 pairs of facing edges, and each such pair can be covered by a single laser beam. So we need enough transmitters to be able to cover 12+12 = 24 different directions.

A transmitter can cover a maximum of four different directions. But there are only at most two locations where a transmitter can cover all four directions without overlapping other transmitters. (In the above diagram, the two locations indicated by darker red dots cover four directions each. There are two other possible locations for this, indicated by the small green dots. But transmitters placed there would overlap with the edges already covered from the dark red locations.)

Suppose that you only have seven transmitters. Two of them can cover four directions each, but the remaining five can only cover at most three new directions each. So the total number of directions covered by all seven transmitters is at most $2\times 4 + 5\times3 = 8 + 15 = 23$. That is not enough to cover all 24 directions required. Therefore at least eight transmitters are needed for the $3\times3$ arrangement of towers.

It looks to me as though this problem should have had a $3\times2$ arrangement of towers for part b), and a $3\times3$ arrangement for part c). Then the minimal number of transmitters would be 6 for b) and 8 for c), as stated in the problem.

Thank you, however how can you do it with question d)? And what if, for the 3*3 castle, I only protected the outer boundary?

Opalg's picture shows that you can guard the outside of what you are calling the 3x3 castle with 6 transmitters.

As for part d), I answered that earlier. I think it is 10.

Related to How many transmitters are needed to secure a 3x4 castle arrangement?

1. What does it mean to secure all edges of an area?

Securing all edges of an area refers to creating a physical and/or digital barrier around the perimeter of a designated space to prevent unauthorized access or intrusion.

2. Why is it important to secure all edges of an area?

Securing all edges of an area is important for several reasons. It helps protect the contents and occupants of the area from potential threats such as theft, vandalism, and physical harm. It also helps maintain privacy and confidentiality for sensitive information or activities that may be taking place within the area.

3. What are some effective methods for securing all edges of an area?

Effective methods for securing all edges of an area include installing physical barriers such as fences, gates, or walls around the perimeter, using security cameras and alarm systems, and implementing access control measures such as key cards or biometric scanners.

4. How can one assess the security of all edges of an area?

Assessing the security of all edges of an area involves evaluating the effectiveness of the existing security measures in place, identifying potential vulnerabilities and weaknesses, and implementing necessary improvements or updates to enhance the overall security of the area.

5. Are there any legal or ethical considerations when securing all edges of an area?

Yes, there may be legal and ethical considerations when securing all edges of an area. It is important to consider any laws or regulations regarding privacy and security, as well as any ethical implications of restricting access to the area for certain individuals or groups. It is also important to ensure that the security measures implemented do not cause harm or discrimination towards any individuals or groups.