Cell Phone Tower Communication: How Does it Work?

In summary, radio towers use power cables to supply power to their antennas and RF amplifiers which are needed to radiate the radio frequency signal. They transmit signals in a certain radius around the tower and are linked to other towers through their own antennas. Cell phones use the same radio frequency to send and receive signals to and from the tower. The receiver antenna on the tower is very sensitive to pick up the weak signal from the cell phone. If there is background noise, it may interfere with the signal. The encoding used for cell phone transmission is complex and involves various modulation systems.
girts
Pardon my ignorance if this is simply stated in wikipedia although I thought to ask here,

So I am wondering how does exactly a radio tower communicate with a cell phone? Yes obviously by radio waves in the microwave? or so about region, but ok let me try to ask this in stages,

1)The radio tower is supplied by a power cable from the nearest power line because the antennas and the RF amplifiers and other apparatus need quite some power in order to radiate the radio frequency signal, I can understand that, similar with tv broadcast tower antennas and other, now this signal is then transmitted in a certain radius around the tower, the length of which is probably proportional to the power of the transmitter in the tower, after certain length the signal probably becomes too weak to be distinguishable from "background noise" so another tower is needed and they are linked as much as I know by their own antennas in order to transmit signals from tower to tower.
Now ok say I have a cell phone and I am in the zone where signal strength is good and my cell phone picks up the signals and so I see whose calling me and can hear him etc, but how does my phone sends my voice/message back to the tower? Yes I realize by the same radio frequency (microwave region?) but how can the tower detect that weak signal coming from my phone because unlike the tower my phone has a small 3.7 volt tiny battery, I wonder how can such small amount of power be enough to create a radiowave strong enough to travel miles and then be picked up by the tower?

2)What is the major difference between the towers transmitter antennas and receiver ones? because the signal from my cell phone is probably very weak so if I am in countryside and my nearest tower is many miles the receiver antenna needs to be very sensitive in order to get my signal? What happens if there is some "background noise" around the frequency in which my signal is transmitted?3) the third question for now would be, what kind of encoding cell phone transmission exactly uses? I know how AM and FM works but haven't really read upon or know how all this digital tv transmission works or cell phone apart from the basic physics of how radiowaves and carrier waves etc work, so can someone please say something about that ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
girts said:
1)The radio tower is supplied by a power cable from the nearest power line because the antennas and the RF amplifiers and other apparatus need quite some power in order to radiate the radio frequency signal, I can understand that, similar with tv broadcast tower antennas and other, now this signal is then transmitted in a certain radius around the tower, the length of which is probably proportional to the power of the transmitter in the tower, after certain length the signal probably becomes too weak to be distinguishable from "background noise" so another tower is needed and they are linked as much as I know by their own antennas in order to transmit signals from tower to tower.

Towers use separate antennas and different frequencies to communicate with each other
girts said:
2)What is the major difference between the towers transmitter antennas and receiver ones?

Nothing, the same antenna is used for both
below is a typical cell tower ... they do vary in shape and size, depending on location etc

upload_2018-2-9_8-12-8.png

girts said:
so if I am in countryside and my nearest tower is many miles the receiver antenna needs to be very sensitive in order to get my signal?

the receiver electronics is very sensitive
girts said:
What happens if there is some "background noise" around the frequency in which my signal is transmitted?
depending on how bad and what type the interference is, it may wipe out your signal

girts said:
3) the third question for now would be, what kind of encoding cell phone transmission exactly uses? I know how AM and FM works but haven't really read upon or know how all this digital tv transmission works or cell phone apart from the basic physics of how radiowaves and carrier waves etc work, so can someone please say something about that ?
the modulation systems on cellular systems is very complex

have a read through this ...

http://wikieducator.org/images/7/7f/Cell_Phone_technology.pdf

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-9_8-12-8.png
    upload_2018-2-9_8-12-8.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 787
Likes berkeman

1. How do cell phone towers work?

Cell phone towers work by receiving and transmitting radio frequency signals to and from cell phones. These towers are connected to a network of wired or wireless connections, and they use antennas to communicate with nearby devices. When a cell phone user makes a call, the tower receives the signal and connects it to the appropriate network, allowing the call to be completed.

2. How far can a cell phone tower reach?

The range of a cell phone tower depends on various factors, including the type of antenna used, the terrain, and the frequency it operates on. Generally, a cell phone tower can reach up to several miles, but this range can be limited by obstacles such as buildings or mountains.

3. How many cell phone towers are there in the world?

As of 2021, there are estimated to be over 8 million cell phone towers worldwide. The exact number is difficult to determine as new towers are constantly being built and some may not be publicly listed.

4. How are cell phone towers powered?

Cell phone towers are usually powered by a combination of electricity and backup generators. The electricity is typically provided by the local power grid, but in case of a power outage, the generators kick in to keep the tower running. Some newer towers also use renewable energy sources such as solar power.

5. Do cell phone towers pose health risks?

There is currently no scientific evidence that shows cell phone towers pose significant health risks. The radio frequency signals emitted by these towers are considered to be within safe levels, as determined by various regulatory agencies. However, studies on the long-term effects of exposure to these signals are ongoing.