How many times in a week do you shower?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: People started showering everyday because it was seen as hygienic and it was thought that it would keep you from getting sick. But over the years, the social stigma against not showering has grown and people are now mostly just doing it because it's socially acceptable.
I believe this thread should be submitted to the fail-blog... for so many pathetic jokes and amateur use of ironies. A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.

Physics news on Phys.org
I come back a couple of days later and this thread is still going? PFers like to argue over everything.

rootX said:
A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.
I'd like to think so, but (with 45 years of glory-hounding for attention) I can tell you that off-the-cuff humour is extremely dependent on context of the parties involved.

rootX said:
I believe this thread should be submitted to the fail-blog... for so many pathetic jokes and amateur use of ironies. A good joke wouldn't require some kind of indication.

DaveC426913 said:
I'd like to think so, but (with 45 years of glory-hounding for attention) I can tell you that off-the-cuff humour is extremely dependent on context of the parties involved.

Also a lot of extremely funny things are purely down to delivery and timing, something which is lost on forums.

DaveC426913 said:
If only there were already some sort of method for letting people know the emotional tone of a post... Maybe just an icon. Some sort of emotion-icon. Some sort of ... I don't know... emoticon ...

You're forever in trouble over those, aren't you? :wink:

xxChrisxx said:
Also a lot of extremely funny things are purely down to delivery and timing, something which is lost on forums.

So, so, so, so many of the visual and auditory cues we depend upon for clear comprehension in communication are missing online. This is a really, really tough means of casual conversation. Particularly getting acknowledgment from people so you aren't talking past each other. Humour, especially dry, deadpan humour and sarcasm are really tough to convey properly too.

It's very challenging.

GeorginaS said:
You're forever in trouble over those, aren't you? :wink:

I am. It is definitely my own fault. My sense of (online) humour tends strongly toward the deadpan. I hate having to beat my audience with an emoticon club.

DaveC426913 said:
I am. It is definitely my own fault. My sense of (online) humour tends strongly toward the deadpan. I hate having to beat my audience with an emoticon club.

I list towards sarcasm but try not to online unless a) the person I'm directing pixels at knows me well enough to know I'm joking, or b) I decide to give into the FTHFs* to make myself clear.

*FTHF coined by my ex when we first began participating in various online gaming sites and discussion boards. [Back in the days before they'd invented the little round yellow emoticons.] He called them "f*****g tilted happy faces" because they annoyed him so much that everyone used them constantly, and because it further teed him off that people didn't "get" his sense of humour in the absence of them. :)

DaveC426913 said:

i think the getting of a joke is also highly correlated with one's bathing frequency, which ties it back directly to the subject at hand.

Proton Soup said:
i think the getting of a joke is also highly correlated with one's bathing frequency
That's so true! It's no wonder I get all the dirty jokes :wink:

Oops... I've done it again...
rootX said: