How many ice cubes were added to cool the pool to 17°C?

In summary, the physics grad student filled a plastic swimming pool with 156 liters of water at 26°C and added ice cubes from his refrigerator (30g each at 0°C) until the temperature stabilized at 17°C. Using the equations Q=mc(DeltaT) and Q=mL, it was determined that he added a total of 585 ice cubes, with each cube absorbing 80 cal/g of heat as it melted and the resulting water warming up to 17°C. The specific heat of water and ice, as well as the latent heat of fusion of water, were taken into consideration in this isolated system.
cyberdx16

Homework Statement

Trying to beat the heat of summer, a physics grad student went to the local toy store and purchased a child's plastic swimming pool. Upon returning home, he filled it with 156 liters of water at 26°C. Realizing that the water would probably not be cool enough, he threw ice cubes from his refrigerator, each of mass 30 g, into the pool. (The ice cubes were originally at 0°C.) He continued to add ice cubes until the temperature stabilized at 17°C. He then got in the pool.

The density of water is 1000 kg/m3, the specific heat of water is 1.0 cal/g °C, the specific heat of ice is 0.5 cal/g °C, and the latent heat of fusion of water is 80 cal/g.

How many ice cubes did he add to the pool to get the temperature to 17°C? (Consider the pool and ice cubes an isolated system.)

Homework Equations

Q=mc(DeltaT)
Qwater/Qice=# of ice cubes

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass water=1000*.156=156kg
Qwater=156000g(1.0 cal/g*degree Celsius)(17-26)=-1404000cal
QIce=30g(.5 cal/g*degree Celsius)(17-0)=255cal

now do i neglect the negative in Qwater? so then i would get 1404000cal/255cal=5505.88cubs but is not the correct answer

I don't understand what i have to do with the latent heat of H2O fusion(80cal/g)

Physics news on Phys.org
All of the cubes melted. Each gram of ice absorbed 80 cal/gm of heat as it melted and THEN the resulting WATER warmed up to 17 degrees. In fact, the heat capacity of ice has nothing to do with the problem.

Dick said:
All of the cubes melted. Each gram of ice absorbed 80 cal/gm of heat as it melted and THEN the resulting WATER warmed up to 17 degrees. In fact, the heat capacity of ice has nothing to do with the problem.

I still have no clue wtf is going on... now would i use the equation Q=mL for the ice? that would give me 2400cal... Then take the Qw=1404000/Qice=2400? but that gives me 585, which is not the correct answer

There are two parts in Qice. One of them you just computed. To get the other one you have to heat the melted water up 17 degrees. Then you have to add them.

alright gotcha! i guess i didnt take into consideration that ice metals and turns to h20 (l) and heats up to 17C

Related to How many ice cubes were added to cool the pool to 17°C?

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the energy required to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature. This energy is either absorbed or released during a phase change, such as melting or vaporization.

2. How does latent heat affect the temperature of a substance?

When a substance undergoes a phase change, the temperature remains constant until the phase change is complete. This is because the energy is being used to break or form intermolecular bonds, rather than increasing or decreasing the temperature.

3. What is the difference between latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid, while the latent heat of vaporization is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas. Both involve a phase change, but the amount of energy required is different.

4. How does pressure affect the phase change of a substance?

Pressure can affect the phase change of a substance by either increasing or decreasing the temperature at which the phase change occurs. For example, increasing pressure can raise the boiling point of a liquid, while decreasing pressure can lower the melting point of a solid.

5. Can latent heat be recovered?

Yes, latent heat can be recovered. When a substance undergoes a phase change, the energy used to break or form intermolecular bonds is stored as potential energy. This energy can be released again when the substance undergoes the reverse phase change. This is how devices such as heat pumps and refrigerators work.