Calculating Amount of Ice to Cool Tea to 65°C

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Ice
In summary, the problem requires adding ice to a 200-g cup of boiling-hot tea to bring it down to a comfortable sipping temperature of 65°C. Using the equations for specific heat capacity and latent heat, the heat lost by the water is calculated to be -7000 calories. Assuming no heat is lost to anything else, this heat is gained by the ice cube, making it gain 7000 calories. To figure out the mass of ice needed, the equation for latent heat is used, giving a mass of 45.9g of ice. This is due to the three stages involved in the transformation, which are taken into account by putting all three stages in the denominator of the equation. The final temperature of the ice
erok81

Homework Statement

Your 200-g cup of tea is boiling-hot. About how much ice should your add to
bring it down to a comfortable sipping temperature of65°C . Assume that the ice is
initially at−15°C . The specific heat capacity of ice is 0.5cal g⋅°C , for water is 1 cal g⋅°C.
The latent heat for melting ice is 80cal g.

Homework Equations

Equation for latent heat: L=Q/m

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to find the heat lost by the water. This is done using:

Q=cwmwΔT → (1 cal g⋅°C)(200 g)(65 C - 100 C)

Q=-7000 calories

Assuming no heat is lost to anything else during the process, Qlost = Qgained

So the ice cube gains the heat lost by the water, or 7000 calories.

Here is where I am stuck.

I tried using the latent heat equation directly (L=Q/m → m=Q/L) using the latent heat of melting ice a 80 cal/g, but this gave me the incorrect answer.

How does one figure out the mass? I tried subbing in the specific heat capacity for Q in the latent heat eqn, but then my masses cancelled. So that didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
What temperature will the ice end up at, and what are the stages the ice will go through to get there?

The ice ends up at the same final temp as the tea, so 65. And it will go from solid to a liquid. I tried throwing in the latent heat (H) for melting ice at 80 cal/g but it didn't work out correctly.

erok81 said:
The ice ends up at the same final temp as the tea, so 65. And it will go from solid to a liquid. I tried throwing in the latent heat (H) for melting ice at 80 cal/g but it didn't work out correctly.
How much heat per unit mass will be taken up by each of the three stages? (Pls show your working, not just 'it was wrong'.)

If I am understanding correctly (which I don't think I am)...

For melting ice 80 cal/g
For boiling water 540 cal/g

I don't have work for those as they are given in the text. Which is just the latent heat formula L=Q/m

I'm not sure on the three stages you mentioned. The ice will only go from frozen water to liquid water - so one phase transition.

All I tried above is using L=Q/m => m=Q/L => (7000 calories)/(80 calories/g) = 87.5g. But the correct answer is 40 something.

The ice starts at what temperature? What temperature does it have to reach to even start melting? What temperature will it be at when it has just melted?

Ooooh. I see where you are headed now!

It starts at -15C. So I need to figure how much heat it's taking from -15 to zero, the latent heat part from freezing to non freezing, then 0C up to 65C it's final temperature.

And look at that; I just happen to have three stages just like you mentioned above. :)

So let's see where this takes us.

Still using m=Q/L

This is a guess, I'm not sure why it's like this. It just makes sense to put them all in the denominator since that is where all of the stages are happening.

[itex]m=\frac{Q}{(c_i * \Delta T) + L + (c_w * \Delta T)}[/itex]

Plugging in values...

[itex]m=\frac{7000}{(0.5 * 15) + 80 + (1 * 65)}[/itex]

Which equals 45.9g of ice.

Am I close to why all of the stages get thrown into the denominator?

L=Q/m to accomplish the transformation according to my text. So to accomplish what I am doing takes all three stages to make up L.

Assuming I've even done the solution correctly that is.

Thanks for the help. :)

Related to Calculating Amount of Ice to Cool Tea to 65°C

1. How do you calculate the amount of ice needed to cool tea to 65°C?

To calculate the amount of ice needed to cool tea to 65°C, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of ice, the specific heat capacity of tea, the initial temperature of the tea, and the desired final temperature of 65°C. The formula for this calculation is: Amount of ice (g) = (specific heat capacity of tea x mass of tea (g) x (initial temperature of tea (°C) - final temperature (65°C))) / specific heat capacity of ice

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice and tea?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of that substance by 1°C. The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g°C and the specific heat capacity of tea is 4.18 J/g°C.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of tea?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of tea as long as the specific heat capacity of the tea is known. However, the initial temperature and desired final temperature may vary depending on the type of tea and personal preference.

4. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the amount of ice needed?

This calculation is a simplified version and does not take into account factors such as heat loss to the environment and the varying specific heat capacity of different types of tea. For a more accurate calculation, you can use a thermodynamics equation that takes these factors into consideration.

5. What if I want to cool the tea to a different temperature, not 65°C?

The formula for calculating the amount of ice needed to cool tea to a different temperature is the same, except you would substitute the desired final temperature with your desired temperature in °C. For example, if you want to cool the tea to 60°C, you would use that temperature in the formula instead of 65°C.