How many grad schools to apply to?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many grad schools a person should apply to. The speaker shares their personal situation and experience, and mentions that there is no set number and it ultimately depends on individual circumstances. They also mention the potential high cost of applying to multiple grad schools and advise against applying to schools that are not of interest.
EventHorizon4
I'm sure this is a question that comes up a lot but I can't find an old thread on it, and I've seen a lot of varying advice all over.

How many grad schools should I apply to?

Personally, I'm an junior (will be a senior in the fall) physics major with a 3.9 overall and about a 3.8 in math and physics courses at a major public research university, and I have one semester and counting experience as a research assistant. Will be taking the GREs this summer.

So is there a general number of grad schools people usually apply to or does it completely depend on your personal situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on a lot of things. It can be very expensive applying to a lot of grad schools. For instance, I think eight apps is about ideal, but that could easily be $400 in application fees alone. So don't apply anywhere that you don't really want to go.

Related to How many grad schools to apply to?

What factors should I consider when deciding how many grad schools to apply to?

When deciding how many grad schools to apply to, you should consider your academic qualifications, your research interests, the reputation and ranking of the programs, the location and cost of attending each school, and your overall career goals.

Is there a recommended number of grad schools to apply to?

There is no set number of grad schools that you should apply to. It is generally recommended to apply to a range of programs, typically between 3-8 schools, to increase your chances of acceptance.

Should I apply to more schools if I have a lower GPA or test scores?

If you have a lower GPA or test scores, it may be beneficial to apply to more schools to increase your chances of acceptance. However, it is important to carefully consider your qualifications and the competitiveness of the programs you are applying to.

How much does it cost to apply to grad schools?

The cost of applying to grad schools varies depending on the number of schools and programs you are applying to, as well as their application fees. It is important to budget for application fees and consider any financial aid or fee waivers that may be available.

Can I apply to both master's and PhD programs?

Yes, you can apply to both master's and PhD programs. However, it is important to carefully consider your academic goals and qualifications to determine which type of program is the best fit for you.