How many extremum does the function have for given values of a and b?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extremum
In summary, the function ##f(x)=3x^4-4x^3+6x^2+ax+b## has exactly one extremum for all ##a,b \, \in \, R##, since the first derivative of the function always increases and has one root. This is because the second derivative of the function is always positive due to the fact that ##x^2-x+1## is always positive.
Saitama

Homework Statement

For all ##a,b \, \in \, R##, the function ##f(x)=3x^4-4x^3+6x^2+ax+b## has:
a) no extremum
b) exactly one extremum
c) exactly two extremum
d) three extremum

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##f'(x)=12x^3-12x^2+12x+a=12x(x^2-x+1)+a##
If a=0, there is one extremum but how what about the other values of a? The given answer is b and using a=0 gives the answer. What if for some other value of a there are more than one extremum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

For all ##a,b \, \in \, R##, the function ##f(x)=3x^4-4x^3+6x^2+ax+b## has:
a) no extremum
b) exactly one extremum
c) exactly two extremum
d) three extremum

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##f'(x)=12x^3-12x^2+12x+a=12x(x^2-x+1)+a##
If a=0, there is one extremum but how what about the other values of a? The given answer is b and using a=0 gives the answer. What if for some other value of a there are more than one extremum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure you've really given this enough thought? If f'(x) has two roots, then what?

Dick said:
If f'(x) has two roots, then what?

f(x) would have two extremum then.

Pranav-Arora said:
f(x) would have two extremum then.

That's pretty obvious, but it's not what I'm looking for. What does it tell you about f''(x)?

How the function behaves if x tends to + or - infinity? What is it at x=0? Is it possible that the function has zero or two extrema?

ehild

ehild said:
How the function behaves if x tends to + or - infinity? What is it at x=0? Is it possible that the function has zero or two extrema?

ehild

It might have three just from that consideration. But it doesn't. Because it doesn't even have two. That's what I'm trying to nail down first.

Dick said:
It might have three just from that consideration. But it doesn't. Because it doesn't even have two. That's what I'm trying to nail down first.

I know. It cannot have two extrema, as it would go between infinity and minus infinity then. So it can have one or three extrema. In case of more extrema your hint about f" comes in.

ehild

ehild said:
I know. It cannot have two extrema, as it would go between infinity and minus infinity then. So it can have one or three extrema. In case of more extrema your hint about f" comes in.

ehild

Hmm. When I say two extrema, I mean at LEAST two. Not exactly two. That's where the f''(x) comes in. Your hint is appropos to showing there is at least one and ruling out even numbers.

I really don't understand what's going on here.

##f''(x)=12(3x^2-2x+1)##
I see that f''(x) is always positive so f'(x) is always increasing. But how do I show that f'(x) would have a root?

Pranav-Arora said:
I really don't understand what's going on here.

##f''(x)=12(3x^2-2x+1)##
I see that f''(x) is always positive so f'(x) is always increasing. But how do I show that f'(x) would have a root?

You might want to think about it some more. Or just cheat and think about ehild's message.

Dick said:
You might want to think about it some more. Or just cheat and think about ehild's message.

I had ##f'(x)=12x(x^2-x+1)+a##, it tends to ##-\infty## as x tends to ##-\infty## and to ##\infty## as x tends to ##\infty##. Since f'(x) always increases, it must have one root so exactly one extremum. Is this correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
I had ##f'(x)=12x(x^2-x+1)+a##, it tends to ##-\infty## as x tends to ##-\infty## and to ##\infty## as x tends to ##\infty##. Since f'(x) always increases, it must have one root so exactly one extremum. Is this correct?

Yes.

Pranav-Arora said:

Add that x2-x+1 is always positive.

ehild

Dick said:
Yes.

Thanks a lot Dick! :)

ehild said:
Add that x2-x+1 is always positive.

ehild

Yes, I did notice that, thanks ehild. :smile:

Related to How many extremum does the function have for given values of a and b?

What is an extremum?

An extremum is a point on a curve where the slope is zero. It can be a maximum (highest point) or a minimum (lowest point).

Why is it important to find the number of extremum?

Finding the number of extremum helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of a function or curve. It can also help in identifying critical points and making predictions about the overall shape of the function.

How do you find the number of extremum?

To find the number of extremum, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. The number of critical points will equal the number of extremum.

What does the number of extremum tell us about a function?

The number of extremum tells us how many turning points a function has. This can give us information about the concavity and inflection points of the curve.

Can a function have an infinite number of extremum?

No, a function can only have a finite number of extremum. This is because an extremum requires the slope to be zero, and a function can only have a limited number of points where the slope is zero.