Analyzing 2nd Order Differential Equations with Resistive Components

In summary, according to the given differential equation, the function has to decrease initially and reach a minimum at x=0. Then, it increases towards infinity. The option with the given initial condition (b) is the correct one.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-9_15-56-43.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there anyway to answer this question without solving the eqn and plotting the graph?
The function will not oscillate as there is -4y on the right side. So, the first option gets canceled.

Since there is a resistive part i.e. ## \frac{-dy} {dx} ##, the function has to decrease. But, when I plot the function, it first decreases to less than zero and then increases towards 0 as x tends to infinity.
And there is an extremum between o and 1.
So, how to say which option is corrrect, b or d ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_15-54-51.png
    upload_2017-11-9_15-54-51.png
    30 KB · Views: 539
  • upload_2017-11-9_15-56-20.png
    upload_2017-11-9_15-56-20.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 546
  • upload_2017-11-9_15-56-43.png
    upload_2017-11-9_15-56-43.png
    30 KB · Views: 823
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know the function y(x)?

You have only one initial condition, but you need two (because you have 2nd order DE).

DoItForYourself said:
How do you know the function y(x)?
Because of the initial condition, I have only one arbitrary constant. I took arbitrary value of the constant e.g. 1, 2,500,2000,and so on and the graph had the same property.

Here, the question demands to know the property of the function on the basis of the given differential equation, before solving it. And I want to learn this skill.

Differentiate the solution function and set it equal to 0.

It appears difficult to find the right answer without solving the DE.

Also, have in mind that the arbitrary constant can be a negative number too.

Likes Chestermiller
DoItForYourself said:
Differentiate your function and set it equal to 0.
How does this help? This gets me to know the extremum part. I have done this. This doesn't say anything about part c and d.

I think I have taken the constant to be positive, so I got the min. to be between 0 and 1 and the function is initially decreasing to less than 0 and then reaches to 0. If I had taken the constant to be negative, then I would have got max. between o and 1 and the function would initially increase and then deccrease to 0. So, part c and d depends on the value of that arbitrary constant.
So, we can say only option b with certainty; and for this, too, we have to solve the eqn. Right?

Exactly. You cannot be sure if c or d is right because you do not know if the constant is negative or positive.

However, you know in which x the extremum of y(x) appears.

Yes. So, it is done.
Thank you.:smile:

Related to Analyzing 2nd Order Differential Equations with Resistive Components

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

The method for solving a 2nd order differential equation varies depending on the type of equation and its initial conditions. Generally, it involves finding a particular solution using techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or using a specific formula for a known type of equation.

3. What is the difference between a 1st order and a 2nd order differential equation?

The main difference between a 1st order and a 2nd order differential equation is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A 1st order differential equation involves only the first derivative of a function, while a 2nd order differential equation involves both the first and second derivatives.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as the motion of a spring, pendulum, or a swinging door. They are also used in fields such as electrical engineering, economics, and population dynamics.

5. Can you give an example of a 2nd order differential equation?

One example of a 2nd order differential equation is the harmonic oscillator equation, which models the motion of a spring-mass system. It can be written as m(d^2x/dt^2) + kx = 0, where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position at time t.