How many college courses are "TOO" many?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to take college courses over the summer in order to delve deeper into STEM topics, specifically computer science, engineering, and medicine/business/economics. However, it may be too late to register for summer courses and it is recommended to start with one course due to the condensed nature of summer courses and the difference in expectations between high school and college. Some institutions have even more condensed summer terms, making the workload even more intense for both students and instructors.
gmr535
I am in high school and my school offers very little in the way of higher level STEM classes. I want very badly to delve deeper into this topics so I want to take college classes over the summer. I want to take a Computer Science class and if possible I want to take an Enginnering or Science class. Since they will all be introductory and I am a (not to brag) bright student, how many classes do you think I could get away with and still get As? Also, what specific course will fit my areas of interest? (software, engineering, medicine, business/economics). I live in Florida if it makes any difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty late in the summer right now to register for summer college courses. You might want to find a specific school in your area and look at the courses they have to offer and see if you can still register for them.

Summer courses also tend to be rather condensed, so normally you should limit yourself to one or two. Typically they condense about 3 months worth of material into one month. That's a lot to go over. And if you add labs add labs and homework in, your time disappears quickly.

Considering you haven't taken a university level course yet, you might want to start out with just one and see how it goes.

Likes CalcNerd and amys299
I would definitely listen to Choppy on this one. End of June seems extremely late to start summer classes. Does your school offer a dual high school/college credit during the semester?

A word of advice, college is nothing like high school. Even in an introductory college course, they will not hold your hand. Being smart may make it easier, but college requires a lot of initiative and self-discipline. Take it from someone who took 4 AP classes and 3 college STEM courses beginning of my senior year - it was extremely taxing and no amount of brilliance would have changed that. Start out with one and see if you have the ability to handle more.

Summer courses at my institution started around two weeks ago so you probably won't be able to do any this summer.

Depending on the situation, people usually only take 1-2 in the summer since they are very condensed. I know from friends who have taught such courses that a 6-8 week course will basically go twice as quickly as it would during the semester and you will probably have twice as much class and homework.

radium said:
I know from friends who have taught such courses that a 6-8 week course will basically go twice as quickly as it would during the semester and you will probably have twice as much class and homework.
It can be even more condensed. The college where I work has two four-week summer terms. The first one just ended, the second one starts next week. I used to teach one term or the other, of the two-term algebra/trig based intro physics course. Instead of three 50m lectures per week, we have five 1h:35m lectures per week. Instead of one lab per week, we have three labs per week. My nickname for it is "Firehose Physics." :-p

Wow, that's rough for the instructors. The grad students I know teaching 7 week courses already have to put in 11 hours alone before grading.

Related to How many college courses are "TOO" many?

1. How many college courses are considered "too many"?

The number of college courses that are considered "too many" varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as the difficulty of the courses, the student's time management skills, and their personal workload. Some students may be able to handle a larger course load, while others may feel overwhelmed with even a few courses. It is important for students to evaluate their own capabilities and consult with an academic advisor to determine a manageable course load.

2. Can taking too many college courses have a negative impact on my academic performance?

Taking too many college courses can potentially have a negative impact on academic performance. It can lead to increased stress, lack of time for studying and completing assignments, and burnout. This can result in lower grades and a lower overall GPA. It is important for students to find a balance between challenging themselves with a higher course load and ensuring they have enough time to succeed in each course.

3. Is there a recommended maximum number of college courses to take per semester?

There is no recommended maximum number of college courses to take per semester. It varies for each individual based on their capabilities and workload. However, most universities consider 12-18 credits to be a full-time course load. It is important for students to carefully consider their course selections and consult with an academic advisor to determine a manageable workload.

4. How do I determine if I should take more college courses?

When deciding if you should take more college courses, it is important to consider your personal workload, time management skills, and academic goals. You should also consult with an academic advisor to determine if adding more courses is feasible and will benefit your academic journey. It is important to not overload yourself and to find a balance that will allow you to succeed in your courses.

5. Will taking more college courses help me graduate faster?

Taking more college courses may help you graduate faster, but it depends on your academic goals and capabilities. Adding more courses may allow you to complete your degree requirements sooner, but it is important to ensure you can handle the increased workload without negatively impacting your academic performance. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your individual situation.