How Long Would it Take to Drop an Object Through a Tunnel on the Moon?

In summary: I can take it. Any further and I'm into the core, which is a non-linear density (up to the point of infinity).I don't know who can solve a non-linear density so I can only give you the most accurate answer that I can give.The problem is that the time from one side of the earth to the other is actually a curve and not a straight line. The further away from the center you go, the closer to 42 minutes you get. The closer to the center you go, the closer to 0 minutes you get.In summary, the time it takes for an object to fall through the center of the Earth and come out the other side is approximately 42 minutes.
clow
I have always been curious about what would happen to the gravity at the center of the earth. After some googling I found some neat stuff. So IF it was possible to endure the heat and pressure to get there (impossible) it would feel weightless. So that answered my question but then I read it would only take 42 minutes to drop something and have it come out the other side, then of course fall back.

Now the other part comes when I hear since the moon is cold and frozen so a tunnel would be more possible than Earth (still almost impossible). So the question I had was since the moons diameter is smaller than earth, but the gravity is less how long would it take for an object to make to the other opening of the tunnel before falling back.

Gravity: 1.63 m/s^2

Diameter: 3476 KM

I have had very little physics but and even less calculus in my background. Any help on where to start with this?

Thanks,

Clow

Physics news on Phys.org
Clow,

Actually, the answer is a very interesting result. This is going to take a little bit of physics, but no calculus. The force of gravity acting on the object will be F = GMm/r2 where G is the gravitational constant, M is the Earth's (or moon's) mass, and r is the object's distance from the center.

However the effective value for M is not the entire Earth. It's really M(r). Only that part of the Earth which is below you counts. In other words, once you've fallen 1000 miles, say, the outermost 1000 miles of the Earth is a hollow sphere over your head, and its gravitational pull on you cancels itself out. Only the innermost 3000 miles is still pulling you.

So using the volume of a sphere, M(r) = 4/3 πρr3 where ρ is the Earth's density. (I'm going to assume that the Earth has a uniform density all the way down, although it really does not.) Newton's law is F = ma, and combining things we have a 1/r2 in F and r3 in M, which together make F ~ r:

a = - (4/3 πGρ) r

(There was an m on each side, which I canceled.) Notice from this equation that as we already guessed, the force decreases as you go down. By the time you get to the center r = 0 the force is zero. Now why is this equation interesting? Because it's a familiar one, and writing down the solution is easy! It's what's called a simple harmonic oscillator, and it works just like the motion of an oscillating spring. It's as if the falling object was on the end of a spring attached to the Earth's center, with spring constant k = 4/3 πGρ. The object will oscillate back and forth, up and down the tunnel, with frequency given by ω = 1/sqrt(k) = 1/sqrt(4/3 πGρ). The period of the motion is T = 2π/ω. Of course the time it takes to fall through the Earth all the way through once is half of that. Well you can work out the value and check that you get 42 minutes.

Ok, now here's what I think is really interesting about this problem. The answer does not depend on the diameter of the planet, whether it's Earth you're talking about or the moon. All it depends on is the density! I looked it up, and ρ = 5.51 g/cm3 for the Earth and 3.34 g/cm3 for the moon. So if you say it takes 42 minutes to fall through the Earth, I can tell you it must take 42 x sqrt(3.34/5.51) = 32.7 minutes to fall through the moon.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing is that it will take the same time to pass through ANY straight tunnel through the Earth (with gravity being the propelling force, and no friction). The tunnel need not go through the center, it just needs to be straight. It can even exit only a few miles away from the entrance.

clow said:
I have always been curious about what would happen to the gravity at the center of the earth. After some googling I found some neat stuff. So IF it was possible to endure the heat and pressure to get there (impossible) it would feel weightless. So that answered my question but then I read it would only take 42 minutes to drop something and have it come out the other side, then of course fall back.

Just a note, it's actually ~37 minutes. We had this in a thread not so long ago and produced some basic calcs that gave us a much more accurate result.

I'll try to find it for you.

Oh, that is very interesting. The equations are coming back to me. Maybe not how to use them all at once but in general.

Thanks for the input!

Just a note, it's actually ~37 minutes. We had this in a thread not so long ago and produced some basic calcs that gave us a much more accurate result.

I agree with clow's original value. From the results above, the tunnel time is π sqrt(R/g), where R is the Earth's radius and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Using R = 6.378 x 108 cm and g = 978 cm/s2 (equatorial values from Wikipedia) it comes out to be 42.28 minutes.

Bill_K said:
I agree with clow's original value. From the results above, the tunnel time is π sqrt(R/g), where R is the Earth's radius and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Using R = 6.378 x 108 cm and g = 978 cm/s2 (equatorial values from Wikipedia) it comes out to be 42.28 minutes.

Yes, but our results compensated for the varying g value as you pass through the earth. g isn't constant!

EDIT: Original thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=471524
D H said:
I get 38.19 minutes using a 1000 step leapfrog integrator and using piecewise linear interpolation to determine gravitational acceleration at some point inside the Earth.

If you read any of the above, you know that we have already taken the variation of gravity into account. The final result is expressed in terms of the surface value g for convenience, but that doesn't mean we assumed it was the same all the way down.

Bill_K said:
If you read any of the above, you know that we have already taken the variation of gravity into account. The final result is expressed in terms of the surface value g for convenience, but that doesn't mean we assumed it was the same all the way down.

Please see the updated link I provided above. It is not 42 minutes.

Related to How Long Would it Take to Drop an Object Through a Tunnel on the Moon?

What is "Tunneling through the moon"?

"Tunneling through the moon" is a hypothetical concept that involves creating tunnels or passageways through the moon's surface in order to explore its interior or to utilize its resources.

Why would scientists want to tunnel through the moon?

Scientists may want to tunnel through the moon for a variety of reasons, including studying its geological composition, searching for water or other resources, or potentially establishing a human presence on the moon.

How would scientists go about tunneling through the moon?

Tunneling through the moon would require advanced technology and engineering, such as using specialized drills and excavators, as well as protective measures to maintain the structural integrity of the tunnels.

What challenges would scientists face while tunneling through the moon?

Some of the challenges scientists may face while tunneling through the moon include the moon's low gravity, extreme temperature variations, and potential hazards such as moonquakes or unexpected terrain features.

What are the potential benefits of tunneling through the moon?

The potential benefits of tunneling through the moon include gaining a better understanding of the moon's formation and evolution, potentially discovering valuable resources, and laying the groundwork for future human exploration and colonization of the moon.