How Long Should a Rocket Fire to Adjust a Satellite's Speed?

In summary: N= 1296 secondsIn summary, a small rocket with a thrust of 35 N can change the velocity of a 72,000 kg spacecraft by 63 cm/s if fired for 1296 seconds. This can be calculated using the formula for impulse and the given information of mass and velocity.
pokeefer

Homework Statement

Small rockets are used to make small adjustments in the speed of satellites. One such rocket has a thrust of 35 N. If it is fired to change the velocity of a 72 000 kg spacecraft by 63 cm/s, how long should it be fired?

Homework Equations

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

After reading the instructions, I'm still having difficulty on this particular problem.

There is a formala called pbefore = pafter

Where momentum in one object transfers to another when hit. But I just don't know where to begin.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider the impulse delivered by the force. (Look it up!)

Thanks but I don't know what that has to do with my problem. Can you post an explanation of the formula or the solution?

What's the definition of impulse and what does it have to do with momentum? Look it up!

How am I supposed to calculate impulse with the information given?

What's the definition of impulse?

Iv'e gotten this solution:F = (mass x velocity) / time
35N = 72,000 x 0.63 / t
35N = 45,360 kg m/s / t
35t = 45,360kg m/s
T = 1296 seconds

Is it right?

pokeefer said:
Iv'e gotten this solution:

F = (mass x velocity) / time
35N = 72,000 x 0.63 / t
35N = 45,360 kg m/s / t
35t = 45,360kg m/s
T = 1296 seconds

Is it right?
Yes, very good.

Impulse = FΔt

And impulse equals the change in momentum, Δ(mv).

So:
FΔt = Δ(mv) = mΔv
Δt = mΔv/F

Related to How Long Should a Rocket Fire to Adjust a Satellite's Speed?

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system where no external forces are acting, the total momentum remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force is the rate of change of an object's momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

4. How is momentum related to kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are both measures of an object's motion, but they are not directly proportional. Objects with the same momentum can have different kinetic energies depending on their masses and velocities.

5. How is momentum used in real-life applications?

Momentum is used in many real-life applications, such as sports, transportation, and engineering. In sports, momentum is important in determining the outcome of collisions between players or objects. In transportation, momentum is used to calculate stopping distances and design safety features. In engineering, momentum is used in designing machines and structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them.