What is the speed of the rocket relative to the Earth?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speed of a small rocket fired from plane B towards plane A, with both planes moving at different speeds relative to the observer on Earth. The reverse Lorentz transformation equation was used to calculate the speed of the rocket relative to the Earth. The correct solution is -0.56 c, as the rocket will move in the same direction as B from the Earth frame.
terryds

Homework Statement

Plane A flies with speed 0.6c chasing plane B which speed is 0.4c . Both speed is measured by observer on Earth. Then, plane B fires a small rocket which rest mass is 10 kg towards plane A. Rocket speed is 0.2c relative to plane B where c equals the speed of light in vacuum.
What's the speed of the rocket relative to the Earth?

Homework Equations

##V = \frac{V' + u}{1 + \frac{V' u}{c^2}} ## (reverse Lorentz transformation)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think the stationary frame is the Earth. The moving frame is plane B. The event is the rocket.

I put
V' = -0.2 c (because A chases B, then B fires a rocket towards A which means opposite direction of the plane), u = 0.4 c (because the moving frame is plane B, I define positive direction is the direction of the plane)

But, I get V = 0.217 c which means that the rocket has the same direction to those planes according to the observer in the Earth.
I think it should be negative sign.
Please help me where I got wrong.

The solution is -0.56 c but I don't know how to figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
Please help me where I got wrong.
Easy. You are not wrong. Well, except for:
terryds said:
I think it should be negative sign.
From the Earth frame, the small rocket will move in the same direction as B, since the relative speed between B and the rocket is smaller than the relative speed between B and the Earth frame.

Likes terryds
Orodruin said:
Easy. You are not wrong. Well, except for:

From the Earth frame, the small rocket will move in the same direction as B, since the relative speed between B and the rocket is smaller than the relative speed between B and the Earth frame.

So, the solution is wrong, right? I also doubt the book since it's just written by my seniors hahaha.. thank you very much

Related to What is the speed of the rocket relative to the Earth?

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics work in reference frames that are moving at constant speeds relative to each other. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

What is the special relativity problem?

The special relativity problem refers to the discrepancies between the predictions of special relativity and classical mechanics in certain scenarios, such as objects moving at very high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This problem led to the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How does special relativity affect time and space?

Special relativity states that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the passage of time and the measurement of distances can vary for different observers depending on their relative motion. It also predicts phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

What is the equation for special relativity?

The most famous equation from special relativity is E=mc², which relates mass (m) and energy (E). This equation shows that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. Other important equations in special relativity include the time dilation equation and the length contraction equation.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons, the operation of GPS systems, and the understanding of particle accelerators and high-speed electronics. It also plays a crucial role in various fields of astrophysics, such as the study of black holes and the expansion of the universe.