Finding time with force, mass and velocity

In summary, a small rocket with a thrust of 35 N is used to change the velocity of a 71700 kg spacecraft by 66 cm/s. According to the Impulse-Momentum Change Theorem, the time required for the rocket to be fired is approximately 135.2 seconds. This can be converted to minutes if necessary.
Ally385

Homework Statement

Small rockets are used to make tiny adjustments in the speeds of satellites. One such rocket has a thrust of 35 N. If it is fired to change the velocity of a 71700 kg spacecraft by 66 cm/s, how long should it be fired?

Homework Equations

p = mv
Impulse = FΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I think that you might have to find momentum and then plug that into another equation. I'm just not sure what equation that would be since the impulse = FΔt doesn't use momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ally385 said:
Well I think that you might have to find momentum and then plug that into another equation. I'm just not sure what equation that would be since the impulse = FΔt doesn't use momentum.
Look up the 'impulse-momentum' theorem.

Start here: The Impulse-Momentum Change Theorem

So that would make it:

F Δt = Δ p

So that makes that

Δt = Δp/ F
Δt = 4732200 - 0 / 35
Δt = 135205.7

But now how do I get rid of the delta?

Ally385 said:
So that would make it:

F Δt = Δ p
Right.

So that makes that

Δt = Δp/ F
Δt = 4732200 - 0 / 35
Δt = 135205.7
Careful with units. Convert the speed to standard units of m/s.

But now how do I get rid of the delta?
Δt is what you are solving for. (You don't need to get rid of the delta; Δt is the time that the thrust must be applied.)

So is it in cm/s now because that's what it says in the problem? And then do I have to change it to minutes because that's what it asks for next to the answer blank. (Sorry forgot to put that in.)

Ally385 said:
So is it in cm/s now because that's what it says in the problem?
Yes. You need to convert that to m/s.
And then do I have to change it to minutes because that's what it asks for next to the answer blank.
Exactly. The equation will give you the time in standard units of seconds. If you need the answer in minutes, you'll have to convert units.

Awesome! Thanks :)

Related to Finding time with force, mass and velocity

What is the formula for finding time with force, mass, and velocity?

The formula for finding time with force, mass, and velocity is time = (mass * velocity) / force.

How do force, mass, and velocity affect the time it takes for an object to move?

Force, mass, and velocity all play a role in determining an object's time of movement. In general, a greater force will result in a shorter time, while a greater mass and lower velocity will result in a longer time. However, the specific relationship between these variables can vary depending on the situation.

Can you find time with only two of the three variables (force, mass, and velocity)?

No, all three variables are needed to accurately calculate time. If only two variables are known, the equation cannot be solved for the third variable and the time cannot be determined.

How does distance affect the calculation of time with force, mass, and velocity?

Distance does not directly affect the calculation of time with force, mass, and velocity. However, it can indirectly impact the time if it affects the force or velocity of an object. For example, if an object is traveling a longer distance, it may need a greater force or velocity to cover the distance in the same amount of time.

Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding time with force, mass, and velocity?

Yes, this formula is based on the assumptions of constant force and constant velocity. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold true, resulting in an inaccurate calculation of time. Additionally, this formula does not take into account other factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity, which can also impact an object's time of movement.