How long does it take for sound to travel 1 mile at a speed of 740 mph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of sound and how it is affected by the speed of an aircraft. It is determined that the sound always travels at a speed of 740 mph relative to the air, regardless of where it originates from. The question then asks how long it would take for the sound of a gunshot from the trailing aircraft to reach the lead aircraft, assuming a speed of 730 mph for the aircraft. It is concluded that the closure rate of the sound is 10 mph relative to the air, resulting in the gunshot being heard approximately 6 minutes after the event.
thetexan
Let's assume a speed of sound of approximately 740 mph at sea level.

If I there are two aircraft traveling in formation 1 mile apart (one in front of the other) at 730 miles per hour, how long will it take for the sound of single gunshot fired from the trailing aircraft to reach the lead aircraft?

I say the sound is traveling at 740mph + the 730mph of the trailing aircraft therefore the sound is closing the distance at 740mph so the time is 3600/740=4.86 seconds.

Is this a correct assumption?

tex

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.
thetexan said:
I say the sound is traveling at 740mph + the 730mph of the trailing aircraft
No. It does not matter where sound comes from, it always moves at 740 mph relative to the air.

So, am I correct that the closure rate of the sound from the trailing aircraft to the lead aircraft is 10mph relative? Which would mean the gunshot would be heard 6 minutes after the event? Is this approximately correct?

tex

PS. I'm 62, not taking classes, and this is not homework, FYI. If that makes any difference.

Right.

The forums are sorted by the type of question, it doesn't matter if it is an actual homework assignment - the question is homework-like.

Related to How long does it take for sound to travel 1 mile at a speed of 740 mph?

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the distance that sound travels in a specific amount of time. In dry air at 20°C, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using various techniques, including the two-way method and the one-way method. In the two-way method, the time taken for a sound wave to travel from a source to a receiver and back is measured. In the one-way method, the time taken for a sound wave to travel from a source to a fixed point is measured.

3. Does the speed of sound change in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of sound changes depending on the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids, and faster in liquids than in gases. The density and temperature of the medium also affect the speed of sound.

4. How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because sound waves travel faster in warmer air due to the increased kinetic energy of the air molecules. On the other hand, colder temperatures result in a slower speed of sound.

5. What is the significance of the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is an important factor in various fields, including physics, engineering, and medicine. It helps in understanding the properties of different media and is used in various technologies, such as sonar and ultrasound. The speed of sound also has practical applications, such as determining the distance of a lightning strike and calculating the speed of an aircraft.