How long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

In summary, a primitive blowgun has a barrel length of 1.5 m and a dart with a speed of 12 m/s is shot out of it. Assuming uniform acceleration, the time it takes for the dart to travel the length of the barrel can be calculated using the equation t=d/v. However, this approach does not satisfy the condition of uniform acceleration. One can use the equations provided in the link to figure out the acceleration and then use it to calculate the time.
musicxisxlove

Homework Statement

The length of the barrel of a primitive blowgun is 1.5 m. Upon leaving the barrel, a dart has a speed of 12 m/s. Assuming that the dart is uniformly accelerated, how long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

Homework Equations

I was thinking of using t=d/v.

The Attempt at a Solution

So it might be t=1.5/12
t= .125 s? but that doesn't sound right at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
musicxisxlove said:

Homework Statement

The length of the barrel of a primitive blowgun is 1.5 m. Upon leaving the barrel, a dart has a speed of 12 m/s. Assuming that the dart is uniformly accelerated, how long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

Homework Equations

I was thinking of using t=d/v.

The Attempt at a Solution

So it might be t=1.5/12
t= .125 s? but that doesn't sound right at all.

The dart is uniformly accelerated. Your approach would not satisfy this condition.

Go to this link and see if there aren't some equations that might help you:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Oh... I see. Hm... my teacher didn't exactly cover any of the problems that he assigned to us except questions about displacement. I don't know how to even start this out.

musicxisxlove said:
Oh... I see. Hm... my teacher didn't exactly cover any of the problems that he assigned to us except questions about displacement. I don't know how to even start this out.

Look at the equations at the link I gave.

You are given Velocity at a distance from the start of the pipe. You can figure it started at rest when it left Sharpie the Blow Man's lips. Perhaps you can figure the acceleration and from that figure the time?

Related to How long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

1. How is the speed of the dart measured?

The speed of the dart is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (fps) using a chronograph. The chronograph records the time it takes for the dart to travel a known distance, allowing for the calculation of its velocity.

2. Does the length of the barrel affect the speed of the dart?

Yes, the length of the barrel can affect the speed of the dart. A longer barrel allows for a longer acceleration time, resulting in a higher velocity and faster dart travel. However, there are other factors such as air resistance and the quality of the barrel that can also influence dart speed.

3. How do different types of darts affect the travel time?

Different types of darts, such as those made from different materials or with different weights, can have varying travel times. Lighter darts may travel faster due to their lower mass, while heavier darts may have a slower travel time due to their increased inertia. The shape and aerodynamics of the dart can also impact travel time.

4. Can the temperature of the barrel affect the speed of the dart?

Yes, the temperature of the barrel can impact the speed of the dart. A warmer barrel may cause the air inside to expand, resulting in greater air resistance and a slower travel time for the dart. On the other hand, a colder barrel may cause the air inside to contract, resulting in less air resistance and a faster travel time for the dart.

5. What is the average travel time for a dart in a standard barrel?

The average travel time for a dart in a standard barrel can vary depending on various factors such as the type of dart, the length and quality of the barrel, and the force with which the dart is propelled. However, it typically ranges from 0.1 to 0.2 seconds for a distance of 1 meter.