How is the Relativistic Larmor Formula Derived Using Dot Products?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relativistic generalization of the Larmor formula and a specific integral that involves dot products. A lecture in German is suggested as a possible resource for a derivation of the formula, but it is uncertain if it is the desired proof. Another source is mentioned, with a worked out integral, but there is some confusion about the use of angles and dot products in the derivation.
nos
Hi all,

Does someone know where to find the relativistic generalization of the larmor formula? I'm interested in the integral that involves a lot of dot products. So not the derivation that uses covariance to arrive at the formula.

Are there any articles or books available that work out this integral step by step?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
nos said:
Does someone know where to find the relativistic generalization of the larmor formula? I'm interested in the integral that involves a lot of dot products.

This (http://www.ita.uni-heidelberg.de/research/bartelmann/Lectures/elektrodynamik/edynamik.pdf ) lecture has a derivation of the relativistic Larmor formula I once comprehended - around page 159. There are two catches:

1) It's in German (but many formulae, so you might get it)
2)I don't know if it is the kind of proof you requested.

If you have problems in one or two steps, I shall help translating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thank you for replying and its what I've been looking for. Except that I know that the integrated power gives this result. I need to know how to evaluate this integral. It involves a lot of dot product because of the triple cross product.

It's equation 12.70 integrated over all solid angles that give the total power radiated.

In http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/COURSES/ELECTRODYNAMICS/Chap14/chap14.pdf (page 14)it shows the integral and it is worked out step by step. They set the angle between velocity and unit vector =Theta, and angle between acceleration and velocity = Theta(0). Does this mean that the dot product of acceleration and unit vector= acceleration * cos(theta(0)-theta))? Sorry for not using math formulas, I am at work on my mobile and doesn't allow formulas.

Related to How is the Relativistic Larmor Formula Derived Using Dot Products?

What is the Relativistic Larmor Formula?

The Relativistic Larmor Formula is an equation used in physics to calculate the rate at which a charged particle radiates energy as it accelerates. It takes into account both the effects of special relativity and electromagnetism.

How is the Relativistic Larmor Formula derived?

The Relativistic Larmor Formula is derived from the classical Larmor formula, which only takes into account the effects of electromagnetism. By incorporating the principles of special relativity, the formula is modified to account for the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction on the charged particle.

What are the variables in the Relativistic Larmor Formula?

The variables in the Relativistic Larmor Formula include the charge of the particle (q), its velocity (v), and its acceleration (a). The formula also includes constants such as the speed of light (c) and the permittivity of free space (ε0).

What are the applications of the Relativistic Larmor Formula?

The Relativistic Larmor Formula is used in many fields of physics, including particle accelerators, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies, such as particle beam weapons and medical imaging devices.

Are there any limitations to the Relativistic Larmor Formula?

The Relativistic Larmor Formula is a simplified equation that does not take into account all factors that may affect the radiation of energy from a charged particle. It assumes a uniform acceleration and does not consider the effects of quantum mechanics. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in certain situations.