How can I derive the hydraulic equation using conservation of energy and work?

In summary, the equation for calculating the force required to move a liquid up a height difference is deltaF=rho*g*(A1+A2)d2.
bdolle
Hey All,

Question about hydraulics. Can't seem to find anyone videos or material to walk me through how to get the formula deltaF = rho*g*(A1+A2)d2

Any takers?

My book states: The conclusion is conservation of evergy. Work is done on the liquid by a small force pushing the liquid through a large displacement. Work is done by the liquid when it lifts the heavy weight through a small distance. a full anaylsis must consider the fact that the graviational potetial energy of the liquid is also changing, so we can't simply equate the output work to the input work. but you can see energy considerations require piston 1 to move farther than piston 2.

As a homework problem you can show that force 1 much increase by ... [insert formula above].

No I can't show it as a homework problem. Been trying for the last 2 hours. I have been searching the internet and can't find any explanations.

Please show me via work and conservation of energy how to derive this formula. Please spell out each step and go slow. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please provide a diagram showing the force that this equation is supposed to be calculating?

Chestermiller said:
Can you please provide a diagram showing the force that this equation is supposed to be calculating?

Here you go. Let me know if you need more. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 471
The solution to your homework problem does not involve energetics. This is strictly a hydrostatics problem. The starting point should be equation 5.11, or, in a slightly different form: $$F_1=F_2\frac{A_1}{A_2}+\rho g h A_1$$The question is "how much does the force F1 have to increase to achieve the new height difference d1+h+d2 (where d1 is the amount that the left level moves down)?"

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
The solution to your homework problem does not involve energetics. This is strictly a hydrostatics problem. The starting point should be equation 5.11, or, in a slightly different form: $$F_1=F_2\frac{A_1}{A_2}+\rho g h A_1$$The question is "how much does the force F1 have to increase to achieve the new height difference d1+h+d2 (where d1 is the amount that the left level moves down)?"

So deltaF = F1 - F1 (where h is changed to (h+d1+d2)).

I get rho*g*A1*(d1+d2)=deltaF. we can sub "d2 = d1A1/A2" like they show in the book... But this will not help us. Instead use "d1=d2A2/A1" and sub this into d1 and we get rho*g*A1*(d2A2/A1+d2) which simplifies to rho*g*d2*(A2+A1) which is what we were looking for.

Got it.

THANKS

Likes Chestermiller

Related to How can I derive the hydraulic equation using conservation of energy and work?

1. What is the hydraulic equation and why is it important in science?

The hydraulic equation, also known as the Bernoulli's principle, is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and elevation. It is important in science because it helps explain the behavior of fluids in various systems and is the basis for many engineering applications.

2. How is the hydraulic equation derived?

The hydraulic equation is derived using the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of mass. It involves equating the total energy of a fluid at two different points along a streamline, taking into account changes in kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the hydraulic equation?

The hydraulic equation is based on several assumptions, including: the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, the flow is inviscid (no friction), and there are no external forces acting on the fluid. These assumptions help simplify the mathematical derivation and make the equation more applicable to real-world situations.

4. What are some practical applications of the hydraulic equation?

The hydraulic equation has many practical applications, including in the design of pumps, turbines, and pipes for fluid transportation. It is also used in the analysis of airfoil and wing designs in aerodynamics, and in the study of blood flow in the human body.

5. Are there any limitations to the hydraulic equation?

While the hydraulic equation is a useful tool in fluid mechanics, it does have some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as turbulence, viscosity, and compressibility of the fluid. Additionally, the equation is only valid for steady flow and may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids in unsteady or complex flow situations.