How Is the Optimal Pivot Distance Calculated for a Uniform Disk Pendulum?

In summary, the distance d=0 may not necessarily result in the shortest possible period for this physical pendulum, as it is also affected by the moment of inertia and other potential factors.
Jimmy25

Homework Statement

A uniform disk of radius R = 1.40 m and a 6.0 kg mass has a small hole a distance d from the disk's center that serves as a pivot point.

What should be the distance d so that this physical pendulum will have the shortest possible period?

Homework Equations

T = 2π[tex]\sqrt{\frac{I}{MgL}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the parallel axis theorem and moment of inertia of a disk I found the period as:

T = 2π[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\frac{1.4^{2}}{2}+d^{2}}{9.8d}}[/tex]

When I find the minimum of this function I get d = 0.990 which is the right answer.

What I don't understand is why the d isn't zero. Won't T approach zero as d approaches zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand that while T may approach zero as d approaches zero, it does not necessarily mean that d=0 will result in the shortest possible period. In this case, the period is also affected by the moment of inertia of the disk, which increases as d approaches zero. This means that even though the distance is decreasing, the overall effect on the period may not be significant enough to result in the shortest possible period. Additionally, there may be other factors at play that are not accounted for in the given equation, such as air resistance or friction, which could also affect the period. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider all variables and equations when determining the optimal distance for the shortest period.

The distance d cannot be zero because that would mean the pivot point is at the center of the disk, which would result in no motion and therefore no period. In order for the physical pendulum to have a period, there must be a distance between the pivot point and the center of mass of the disk. As d approaches zero, the period does approach zero, but it never actually reaches zero. The minimum distance d = 0.990 ensures that the physical pendulum has the shortest possible period while still maintaining motion.

Related to How Is the Optimal Pivot Distance Calculated for a Uniform Disk Pendulum?

1. What is a physical pendulum problem?

A physical pendulum problem involves studying the motion of a rigid body that is free to rotate about a fixed point. This is different from a simple pendulum, which only involves a mass attached to a string.

2. How is a physical pendulum different from a simple pendulum?

A physical pendulum has a more complex motion because the rigid body can rotate in multiple dimensions, whereas a simple pendulum only moves back and forth in one dimension.

3. What factors affect the motion of a physical pendulum?

The motion of a physical pendulum is affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass and distribution of the rigid body, and the presence of external forces such as friction and air resistance.

4. How do you calculate the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the rigid body, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the fixed point to the center of mass.

5. What real-life applications can physical pendulum problems have?

Physical pendulum problems can be applied to various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. They can be used to analyze the stability of structures, study the motion of objects in space, and understand the mechanics of human movement.