How Is the Integral Independent of x in My Calculus Problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of A(x) = \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt when f(t) = \frac{4}{y}, given that f(2) = 2. Using the fact that the function is independent of x, it can be expressed as g(y) = \int_{x}^{xy} f(t)dt. Differentiating g(y) with respect to x and y yields two equations that can be solved to find the value of A(x). The final answer is 4 \ln x, and the substitution of f(2) = 2 is justified by using the Leibniz rule.
mathemagician
My Professor in my calculus class (1st year) left us with this question at the end of lecture today and told us to think about it. I am baffled as to how to solve it. Anyways, here is what he gave us.

[tex]
\int_{x}^{xy} f(t) dt[/tex]
This is independent of x.

If [tex]f(2) = 2[/tex], compute the value of
[tex]A(x) = \int_{1}^{x} f(t)dt[/tex]

for all [tex]x > 0[/tex]

He then gave us a hint saying since it is independent of x, the function will be in terms of y.
[tex]g(y) = \int_{x}^{xy}f(t)dt[/tex]
He also told us the final answer is [tex]4 \ln x
[/tex]

Does this make any sense? I would appreciate it if someone can show me how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this, differentiate g(y) with respect to x:
[tex]0=\frac{d}{dx}g(y)=yf(xy)-f(x)\to{f}(xy)=\frac{f(x)}{y}[/tex]
then, differentiate g(y) with respect to y:
[tex]\frac{dg}{dy}=xf(xy)=\frac{xf(x)}{y}[/tex]

Hope this helps..

I am a little confused after spending an hour thinking about it. But I think I have something.

Since [tex]f(2) = 2 [/tex] then [tex]\frac{dg}{dy} = \frac{2f(2)}{y} = \frac{4}{y}[/tex]

Then we can replace [tex]f(t)[/tex] with [tex]\frac{4}{y}[/tex]

Going back we can now solve for [tex]A(y) = \int_{1}^{x} \frac{4}{y} dy = 4 \int_{1}^{x} \frac{1}{y} dy = 4[\ln |x| - \ln (1)][/tex]
and since [tex]x > 0[/tex] we finally have:

[tex]A(y) = 4 \ln x[/tex]

OK, so is this right? I'm a little bit troubled with doing the substitution of f(2) = 2, can you explain to me how that might be justified?

I also have a question about your hint, arildno. Just the first line.

how is it possible that you set [tex] \frac{d}{dx}g(y) = 0[/tex]? And could you explain [tex]yf(xy) - f(x)[/tex] where that came from?

Thanks

:confused:

1) g is solely a function of the variable "y".
Hence, differentiating it with respect to some other variable it does not depend on, yields zero.
2) Using the Leibniz rule for differentiating an integral where the bounds depend on your variable, reads:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{x}^{xy}f(t)dt=f(xy)\frac{d}{dx}xy-f(x)\frac{d}{dx}x=yf(xy)-f(x)[/tex]

3. Since g(y) is independent of x, so is [tex]\frac{dg}{dy}[/tex]
Hence, we must have:
xf(x)=K, where K is some constant.
We can determine K, with noting 2f(2)=4, that, is,
xf(x)=4 (implying f(x)=\frac{4}{x}), or [tex]\frac{dg}{dy}=\frac{4}{y}=f(y)[/tex]

Thank you. I understand. Its much clearer now.

Related to How Is the Integral Independent of x in My Calculus Problem?

1. How do I approach an integration problem?

The first step is to identify the type of problem you are dealing with, such as a definite or indefinite integral, and determine what techniques may be applicable. Then, carefully read the problem and break it down into smaller parts to make it more manageable.

2. What techniques can I use to solve an integration problem?

Some common techniques include integration by parts, substitution, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. It is important to practice these techniques and become familiar with when and how to apply them.

3. How do I check my answer for an integration problem?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the resulting derivative is equal to the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integration calculators to verify your answer.

4. What do I do if I get stuck on an integration problem?

If you get stuck, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or reviewing your notes and practice problems to see if there are similar examples you can follow. You can also seek help from a tutor or your professor for additional guidance.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on integration problems, the more comfortable you will become with the different techniques and types of problems. You can also review class notes, watch online tutorials, or join a study group to enhance your understanding of integration.