How is the binomial theorem used here?

In summary, the binomial theorem is used to factorize a quadratic equation with constants as operators, which can also be applied to numbers. This is similar to the distributive law and can be seen in the example (x+y)(x-y) for numbers and (X+Y)(X-Y) for operators.
shanepitts
The below image shows a portion of my current Analytical Mechanics textbook.

My inquiry is how is the binomial theorem used to get from eq. 3.4.5a ⇒ 3.4.5b ?

Thanks in advance
image.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's a writeup on the binomial theorem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

and you can see the (x+y)^2 = x^2 +2xy +y^2

so what is x and what is y in your example?

work it backwards and forwards and you'll see there's a step they didn't tell you with respect to gamma.

Likes shanepitts
shanepitts said:
The below image shows a portion of my current Analytical Mechanics textbook.

My inquiry is how is the binomial theorem used to get from eq. 3.4.5a ⇒ 3.4.5b ?

Thanks in advance

In fact, that's simply the factorisation of a quadratic equation. You have to be careful as Operators don't always commute, but in this case, as ##\gamma## and ##\omega_0## are constants, you get the same factorisation as if ##D## were a number.

(I'm not sure I would call that the Binomial theorem. The Binomial Theorem does not apply for Operators, as they do not generally commute. I would call it the distributive law: which does apply for Operators as well as numbers.)

As an exercise, you might like to compare:

##(x + y)(x - y)## (for numbers)

and

##(X + Y)(X - Y)## (for operators).

Last edited:
Likes shanepitts
PeroK said:
In fact, that's simply the factorisation of a quadratic equation. You have to be careful as Operators don't always commute, but in this case, as ##\gamma## and ##\omega_0## are constants, you get the same factorisation as if ##D## were a number.

(I'm not sure I would call that the Binomial theorem. The Binomial Theorem does not apply for Operators, as they do not generally commute. I would call it the distributive law: which does apply for Operators as well as numbers.)

As an exercise, you might like to compare:

##(x + y)(x - y)## (for numbers)

and

##(X + Y)(X - Y)## (for operators).
Thank you

This clarified things

Related to How is the binomial theorem used here?

1. How does the binomial theorem help in expanding expressions?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows for the expansion of binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms. It states that the coefficient of each term in the expansion is equal to the corresponding combination of the exponents of the two terms. This makes it a useful tool for easily expanding expressions without having to manually multiply each term.

2. What types of problems can be solved using the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the coefficients of a binomial expansion, simplifying complicated algebraic expressions, and solving probability problems involving binomial distributions. It is also commonly used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals of binomial functions.

3. What are some real-life applications of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem has various real-life applications, including in finance where it is used to calculate compound interest, in physics to model projectile motion, and in genetics to determine the probabilities of certain genetic traits being passed down from parents to offspring. It is also used in computer science and engineering for data compression and error correction.

4. Can the binomial theorem be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, the binomial theorem is specifically designed for expressions with two terms, also known as binomials. However, it can be extended to solve problems with more than two terms by using Pascal's triangle and the general binomial theorem formula.

5. How is the binomial theorem related to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular arrangement of numbers that follows the pattern of the binomial coefficients in the expansion of binomial expressions. Each row in Pascal's triangle represents the coefficients of the corresponding power in the binomial expansion. This relationship makes it easier to use the binomial theorem for larger exponents and terms.