Simplify equation using binomial theorem

In summary: Yes, I thought of doing that as well, and got the same result. It comes down to a different approximation - probably not as good, since you're only treating part of the function as a series.Not quite so Perplexed.
Perplexed
I'm sure this is easy but it has got me baffled.

I'm told that the binomial theorem can be used to simplify the following formula

\(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{1 - ay/2}{\sqrt{1-ay}}\)

to (approximately)

\(\displaystyle x = 1 + a^2 y^2 / 8\)

if a << 1.

Thanks for any help or pointers on this one in particular, and/or general help on how the binomial theorem is used in cases like this.

Perplexed

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perplexed said:
I'm sure this is easy but it has got me baffled.

I'm told that the binomial theorem can be used to simplify the following formula

to (approximately)

\(\displaystyle x = 1 + a^2 y^2 / 8\)

if a << 1.

Thanks for any help or pointers on this one in particular, and/or general help on how the binomial theorem is used in cases like this.

Perplexed

Hmm. I don't know if the binomial theorem would help here or not. It looks to me more like an application of a Maclaurin series:
$$f(x) \approx f(0) + f'(0) x + \frac{ f''(0) x^{2}}{2!}+ \frac{f'''(0)x^{3}}{3!}+\dots.$$
So we'll need $f'(0)$. To find the derivative, we use the Quotient Rule:
$$f'(y)= \frac{ \left( \sqrt{1-ay} \right)(-a/2)-(1 - ay/2)(1/2)(1-ay)^{-1/2}(-a)}{1-ay}.$$
Evaluating this at $y=0$ yields
$$f'(0)=(-a/2)-(1)(1/2)(-a)=0.$$
Hence, the linear term disappears. We'll need the quadratic term, then. Simplifying the first derivative yields
\begin{align*}
f'(y)&= \frac{ -(a/2) \sqrt{1-ay}+ \frac{(1 - ay/2)(a/2)}{ \sqrt{1-ay}}}{1-ay} \\
&= \frac{-(a/2)(1-ay)+(a/2)(1-ay/2)}{(1-ay)^{3/2}} \\
&=\frac{a^{2}y}{4(1-ay)^{3/2}}.
\end{align*}
The second derivative yields
\begin{align*}
f''(y)&= \frac{4(1-ay)^{3/2}(a^{2})-6(a^{2}y)(1-ay)^{1/2}(-a)}{16(1-ay)^{3}} \\
&= \frac{2(1-ay)(a^{2})+3a^{3}y}{8(1-ay)^{5/2}} \\
&= \frac{a^{2}(2+ay)}{8(1-ay)^{5/2}}.
\end{align*}
Hence, $f''(0)=2a^{2}/8=a^{2}/4.$ It follows, then, that the Maclaurin expansion yields
$$f(y) \approx 1 + \frac{a^{2}y^{2}/4}{2!}=1+ \frac{a^{2}y^{2}}{8},$$
as desired.

Ackbach said:
Hmm. I don't know if the binomial theorem would help here or not. It looks to me more like an application of a Maclaurin series:
Wow! Thanks for that, I will need some time to absorb and understand it, but thanks for working through it for me.

Ackbach said:
Would you mind explaining something for me please? When I first saw

and given that a << 1, I thought I might be able to simplify it using the rule
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-x} \rightarrow (1-x/2)\) and \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-x}} \rightarrow (1+x/2)\)
so that it became

\(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{1 - ay/2}{1-ay/2} \rightarrow (1 - ay/2)(1+ay/2)\)

but multiplying this out gave me \(\displaystyle 1 - \dfrac{a^2y^2}{4}\)
so there is something wrong with my simple simplification, but I can't see what.

Thanks for your help.

Still Perplexed

Perplexed said:
Would you mind explaining something for me please? When I first saw

and given that a << 1, I thought I might be able to simplify it using the rule
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-x} \rightarrow (1-x/2)\) and \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-x}} \rightarrow (1+x/2)\)
so that it became

\(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{1 - ay/2}{1-ay/2} \rightarrow (1 - ay/2)(1+ay/2)\)

but multiplying this out gave me \(\displaystyle 1 - \dfrac{a^2y^2}{4}\)
so there is something wrong with my simple simplification, but I can't see what.

Thanks for your help.

Still Perplexed

Yes, I thought of doing that as well, and got the same result. It comes down to a different approximation - probably not as good, since you're only treating part of the function as a series.

$ \displaystyle (1+z)^{s} =
1+sz+\frac{s(s-1)}{2}z^2+\cdots $ (Binomial Theorem)

Let $ \displaystyle s= -1/2$ and $ \displaystyle z= -ay$ and multiply both sides by $(1-\frac{1}{2}ay)$.

Guest said:
$ \displaystyle (1+z)^{s} =
1+sz+\frac{s(s-1)}{2}z^2+\cdots $ (Binomial Theorem)

Let $ \displaystyle s= -1/2$ and $ \displaystyle z= -ay$ and multiply both sides by $(1-\frac{1}{2}ay)$.
That does it! Thanks.

Not quite so Perplexed.

Related to Simplify equation using binomial theorem

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is used to simplify complicated expressions and make them easier to solve.

How do you use the binomial theorem to simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation using the binomial theorem, we first identify the values of n and k in the expression (a+b)^n. Then, we use the formula nCk * a^(n-k) * b^k to expand the expression. Finally, we combine like terms to get the simplified form of the equation.

Can the binomial theorem be used for any type of expression?

No, the binomial theorem can only be used for binomial expressions, which have two terms. It cannot be used for expressions with more than two terms, such as trinomials or polynomials.

What is the significance of the binomial theorem in mathematics?

The binomial theorem is important in mathematics because it allows us to solve complex equations and problems more efficiently. It also has many applications in various fields, including probability, statistics, and physics.

Are there any limitations to using the binomial theorem?

Yes, there are certain limitations to using the binomial theorem. It can only be used for binomial expressions, and it may not always give the exact solution to an equation. It is also limited to integer exponents and cannot be used for negative or fractional exponents.