Binomial distribution regarding: (≤, >, etc.)

In summary, the conversation discusses using a binomial table to determine probabilities for a binomial random variable with specific values of p and n. The table is read by finding the cumulative probabilities for the given values. The conversation also addresses the calculation of probabilities for different scenarios, such as P(X > 10) and P(6 ≤ X ≤ 11).
iamlorde
Question is as follows:

Let X be a binomial random variable with p = 0 2 .
and n = 20. Use the binomial table in Appendix A to determine
the following probabilities.
(a) P(X ≤ 3) (b) P(X > 10)
(c) P(X = 6) (d) P(6 ≤ X ≤ 11)

NK7cCqq.gif

(a) = 0.4114 is the answer. Yet all I see from this answer is that X is simple equal to "0.4114". If it is "X ≤ 3" shouldn't "0.2061", "0.0692", and "0.0115" contribute to the answer somehow because they are "<" smaller than 3?

I feel like I may be missing a fundamental element here. How do I proceed with these in general? My logic seems flawed on this matter.

For example: (c) = 0.9133-0.8042=0.1091; how is this possible. Why isn't this straight out "0.9133", the value directly next to #6?

Please enlighten me on this matter. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The numbers in the column of your table are cumulative, and so for a) you would simply read from the table to get:

a) \(\displaystyle P(x\le3)=0.4114\)

And for c), you would do the following:

c) \(\displaystyle P(x=6)=P(x\le6)-P(x\le5)=0.9133-0.8042=0.1091\)

How do you now suppose you would do parts b) and d)?

So, I would think,

(b) P(X > 10) = [!not](everything up to and including 10) = 1-0.9994 = 0.0006

(d) P(6 ≤ X ≤ 11) :

X is between 6 and 11, AND it includes them both, so I choose one above 11, so 12 which is: 1.0000. Then I choose one below 6, so 5, so that I can include 6. Hence: 0.8042.

Now I subtract: 1 - 0.8042 = 0.1958 (YET THIS IS FALSE)
My solution says: 0.1957?

Your solution for (d) is almost correct. The problem is that you've calculated $\mathbb{P}(6 \leq X \leq 12)$ because you've also included $12$. We have

$$\mathbb{P}(6 \leq X \leq 11) = \mathbb{P}(X \in \{6,7,8,9,10,11\}) = \mathbb{P}(X \leq 11) - \mathbb{P}(X \leq 5) = 0.1957$$.

I can provide an explanation for the results obtained from the binomial table.

The binomial table in Appendix A provides the probabilities for specific values of X in a binomial distribution with given values of p and n. In this case, p=0.2 and n=20.

(a) P(X ≤ 3) refers to the probability of getting a value less than or equal to 3 in a binomial distribution with p=0.2 and n=20. This includes the probabilities of getting X=0, X=1, X=2, and X=3. These probabilities are 0.0115, 0.0692, 0.2061, and 0.4114 respectively. Therefore, the total probability is the sum of these individual probabilities, which is 0.0115+0.0692+0.2061+0.4114=0.6982.

(b) P(X > 10) refers to the probability of getting a value greater than 10 in a binomial distribution with p=0.2 and n=20. This includes the probabilities of getting X=11, X=12, X=13, ..., X=20. These probabilities are not provided in the binomial table, but we can use the complement rule to calculate it. The complement rule states that P(X > 10) = 1 - P(X ≤ 10). From the binomial table, we can find P(X ≤ 10) = 0.9766. Therefore, P(X > 10) = 1 - 0.9766 = 0.0234.

(c) P(X = 6) refers to the probability of getting a value of 6 in a binomial distribution with p=0.2 and n=20. The binomial table provides the probabilities for a range of values, not just individual values. The probability for X=6 is the difference between the probability for X=6 and the probability for X=5. In other words, P(X=6) = P(X≤6) - P(X≤5). From the binomial table, P(X≤6) = 0.9133 and P(X≤5) = 0.8042. Therefore, P(X=6) = 0.9133 - 0.8042 = 0.1091

Related to Binomial distribution regarding: (≤, >, etc.)

What is the general formula for calculating probabilities using the binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating the probability of x successes in n independent trials with a probability of success p is P(x) = (nCx)(p^x)(1-p)^(n-x), where nCx is the binomial coefficient.

Can the binomial distribution be used to calculate probabilities for both ≤ and >?

Yes, the binomial distribution can be used to calculate probabilities for both ≤ and >. However, the formula will vary slightly depending on which inequality is used. For ≤, the formula is P(x ≤ k) = ∑i=0^k (nCi)(p^i)(1-p)^(n-i), and for >, the formula is P(x > k) = ∑i=k+1^n (nCi)(p^i)(1-p)^(n-i).

What is the relationship between the binomial distribution and the normal distribution?

The binomial distribution can be approximated by the normal distribution when the sample size n is large (usually > 30) and the probability of success p is not too close to 0 or 1. This is known as the continuity correction.

How can the binomial distribution be used in real-life scenarios?

The binomial distribution can be used to model the probability of success or failure in a given number of trials. It is commonly used in fields such as finance, biology, and quality control to analyze and predict outcomes. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a certain number of defective products in a batch, or the probability of a drug being effective in a certain percentage of patients.

What is the difference between the binomial distribution and the Bernoulli distribution?

The binomial distribution is used to calculate the probability of a specific number of successes in a given number of trials, while the Bernoulli distribution is used to calculate the probability of a single success or failure in a single trial. The binomial distribution is a sum of multiple independent Bernoulli trials.