How Is Mass Calculated from Specific Heat?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a book that asks for the computation of the mass of a gas molecule given its specific heat at constant volume. The conversation provides hints on how to approach the problem, including the concepts of internal energy of ideal gases, the Equipartition Principle, Boltzmann's Constant, and Avogadro's Number. Ultimately, the conversation suggests using the specific heat to calculate the mass of one atom, which can then be multiplied by Avogadro's Number to find the molar mass of the gas.
Zorodius
A problem in my book asks me to compute the mass of a gas molecule given its specific heat at constant volume. ("Take [itex]c_v[/itex] = 0.075 cal/g C° for argon and calculate the mass of an argon atom and the molar mass of argon.")

Can I get a hint on where to go with this? I don't see any way of determining the mass when I only know the specific heat under constant volume, although it makes sense that there would be one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zorodius said:
A problem in my book asks me to compute the mass of a gas molecule given its specific heat at constant volume. ("Take [itex]c_v[/itex] = 0.075 cal/g C° for argon and calculate the mass of an argon atom and the molar mass of argon.")

Can I get a hint on where to go with this? I don't see any way of determining the mass when I only know the specific heat under constant volume, although it makes sense that there would be one.

Internal energy of ideal gases - the argon gas is monoatomic - Equipartition Principle - Boltzmann's Constant - Avogadro's Number ...

ehild

ehild said:
Internal energy of ideal gases - the argon gas is monoatomic - Equipartition Principle - Boltzmann's Constant - Avogadro's Number ...

some more hints.

Imagine a vessel with a piston. The vessel is filled with argon gas. You can give energy to the gas either by heating or exerting work on it.
[tex]\Delta U = \delta Q + \delta W [/tex].
The work means (we assume only mechanical work) that we exert force on the piston and move it. But we are interested in a process with constant volume. So the energy changes by adding some amount of heat. The specific heat is the amount of heat energy which rises the temperature of unit mass of a substance by 1 degree (celsius or kelvin). At constant volume
[tex]\Delta U = c_v*m*\Delta T[/tex] or
[tex]c_v = \frac{1}{m}*\frac{\partial U}{ \partial t}|_V[/tex].
An ideal gas consist of atoms or molecules interacting only with the walls of the container when they collide to it. The internal energy of an ensemble of non-interacting particles is the sum of their KE. The Equipartition Principle states that the average KE per degrees of freedom is
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \kappa T [/tex]
([tex]\kappa [/tex] is Boltzmann's Constant). Argon is a noble gas, it is monoatomic. The degrees of freedom of a single atom is 3. So the average energy of an argon atom is
[tex]\frac {3}{2} \kappa T [/tex]
The energy of an ensemble of gas, containing N atoms is
[tex] U = \frac{3}{2}N \kappa T[/tex].
If the mass of one argon atom is m, 1 g argon contains N=1/m atoms. The specific heat of the argon gas is therefore

[tex]c_v= \frac{3}{2}\kappa \frac{1}{m} [/tex].

Knowing cv, you can calculate the mass of one atom. Take care of the units.
The atomic mass is the mass of one atom multiplied by Avogadro's number, [tex]N_A[/tex].

ehild

Good stuff ehild, thanks.

Related to How Is Mass Calculated from Specific Heat?

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat related to mass?

Specific heat is an intrinsic property of a material and is not directly related to the mass of an object. However, the specific heat of a substance can be used to calculate the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a specific mass of the substance.

3. What is the formula for calculating mass from specific heat?

The formula for calculating mass from specific heat is m = Q / (c * ΔT), where m is the mass, Q is the amount of heat, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What units are used for specific heat and mass?

Specific heat is typically measured in joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C) or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C). Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

5. How is specific heat used in practical applications?

Specific heat is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and material science to calculate the amount of heat needed for processes such as heating and cooling. It is also used in the design of thermal systems and in determining the energy efficiency of materials.