How is it possible to solve this system of 2 equations with 4 unknowns?

In summary, this question seems to suggest that there are in fact solutions. However, the question is asking for a more elegant solution than what the person has found so far.
jdinatale
I've always been taught that to solve for 4 unknowns, you need 4 equations. This question seems to suggest that there are in fact solutions. Here's the problem and my work so far. The most I can seem to do is eliminate one variable, I'm not sure how to shake a second one out, let alone all 4.

Joseph-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
I've always been taught that to solve for 4 unknowns, you need 4 equations.
For linear equations: You need 4 equations in order for there to be a UNIQUE solution. With fewer equations than unknowns, there will be either infinitely many solutions or no solutions, depending on whether the equations are consistent or not.

However, note that your second equation is not linear in x, y, and z.

Your work so far is correct, but I don't think it's getting you any closer to a solution.

I suggest solving one of the equations for one of the variables in terms of the others. Then substitute into the other equation and simplify. Most likely there will be infinitely many solutions, so the goal is to try to characterize the set of solutions in the simplest way possible.

If you have four unknowns, you need four independent equations to find a unique solution. You won't be able to find a unique solution in this case.

Well, I've found a fairly trivial set of solutions, but are these the only ones?

Solutions 1: {x = w, z = -y}
Solution 2: {x = -z, y = w}
Solution 3: {y = x, z = w}

The real question is - are these solutions the only ones?

Actually this equation might be on the right track:

[tex]yz + xz + xy = \frac{xyz}{x + y + z}[/tex]

Try solving for one of the variables in terms of the others. This will probably involve the quadratic formula. Also be careful that this equation is true only if [itex]x + y + z \neq 0[/itex].

jbunniii said:
Actually this equation might be on the right track:

[tex]yz + xz + xy = \frac{xyz}{x + y + z}[/tex]

Try solving for one of the variables in terms of the others. This will probably involve the quadratic formula. Also be careful that this equation is true only if [itex]x + y + z \neq 0[/itex].

I think we're off track. I've confirmed using mathematica that

Untitled-6.png

which is true for all x + y + z /= 0 and y + z /= 0.

However, this is a putnam problem, so I know that this isn't the sort of solution they are looking for. There has to be a more elegant solution.

You probably want to take advantage of the symmetry with which x, y, and z appear in the problem.

vela said:
You probably want to take advantage of the symmetry with which x, y, and z appear in the problem.

Well, I feel like I've already done that with these solutions. I think the union of these three sets would give the complete set of solutions. Isn't this the best we can do with 4 variables and 2 equations?

2wcjg3p.png

Related to How is it possible to solve this system of 2 equations with 4 unknowns?

1. How can I solve a system of equations with 4 unknowns?

To solve a system of equations with 4 unknowns, you will need to have at least 4 equations. This is because each unknown variable needs to have a unique equation in order to solve for its value. If you have less than 4 equations, the system will be underdetermined and will not have a unique solution.

2. Can I use substitution or elimination to solve a system with 4 unknowns?

Yes, you can use both substitution and elimination to solve a system of equations with 4 unknowns. However, these methods can become more complex and time-consuming with more variables, so it may be helpful to use a graphing calculator or a computer program to solve the system.

3. Is there a specific method for solving a system of equations with 4 unknowns?

No, there is not a specific method for solving a system of equations with 4 unknowns. However, some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. You may also use matrices or a computer program to solve the system.

4. What do I do if the system of equations has no solution?

If the system of equations has no solution, it means that the equations are inconsistent and do not intersect at any point. This could be due to a mistake in the equations or the equations representing parallel lines. In this case, there is no solution for the system of equations with 4 unknowns.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations with 4 unknowns?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or a computer program to solve a system of equations with 4 unknowns. These tools can help to simplify the calculations and find the exact or approximate solutions for the system. However, it is still important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for solving systems of equations.