How good is this physics program in Argentina?

In summary: Analysis IAlgebra IAnalysis IIPhysics IAlgebra IIPhysics IIChemistryMathematics IMathematics IIMathematics IIIPhysics IIILaboratory IPhysics IVLab 2CalculusMathematics IVClassical mechanicsLab IIILab IVTheoretical physics ITheoretical physics IILab VTheoretical physics IIIMatter structure ILab VIMatter structure IIMatter structure IIILab VIIMatter structure IVThesis
Frushe
Hey, how are you? I will probably start studying mechanical engineering or physics in "Universidad de buenos aires". I have a few questions regarding its program. First of all I would like to know how good does it compare to good universities in the Us. Also if its considered a Ms o bs.
The programs(translated to english by me):
Physics program:
Analysis 1
Chemistry
Mathematics I
Physics I
Physics II
Mathematics II
Mathematics III
Physics III
Laboratory I
Physics IV
Lab 2
Calculus
Mathematics IV
Classical mechanics
Lab III
Lab IV
Theoretical physics I
Theoretical physics II
Lab V
Theoretical physics III
Matter structure I
Lab VI
Matter structure II
Matter structure III
Lab VII
Matter structure IV
Thesis

Also a variety of electives that change year to year

Mechanical engineering program:
Analysis I
Algebra I
Analysis II
Physics I
Algebra II
Analysis III
Physics II
Chemistry
Representation methods
Programming
Mechanics I
Stability I
Mechanical drawing
Materials I
Numerical analysis I
Stability II
Thermodynamics I
Mechanisms
Materials II
General electricity
Mechanical technology I
Industrial tests
Fluid mechanics
Electrical machines
General electronics
Alternative machines
Turbomechanics
Physical and mechanical measurements
Stability III
Control systems
Economy for engineers
Law for engineers
Environmental engineering
Energy conversions
Hidraulical and neumatical systems
Safety at work
Industrial instalations
Thesis based on mechanical engineering.

Also there are a variety of electives where you have to choose 6 to get your degree, they consist:
Stadistics
Mechanics II
Finite elements method
Stability IV
Tension analysis
Fluid physics
Machine elements
Metrology
Mechanical technology II
Machine projects
Combustion
Heat and mass transfer
Cold technology
Heat technology
Thermal instalations projects
Mechanical tools design
Car design
Numerical control of machines
Industrial robotics
Thermal plants
Control systems on thermal instalations
Thermal instalations design
Metalography
Ferrous materials and its applications
Energetic techniques
Introduction to finite element methods
Continous mechanics
Mathematics on robotics
Advanced finite elements

These is all. Your opinion will really help me in my decision of my future career. I am between mech engineering and physics.

Thanks a lot, in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the physics program, the course titles are so generic and vague that it's impossible to say how they compare to university physics programs in the US. What topics do the three "Theoretical Physics" courses include? Or the four "Matter Structure" courses?

Do you not have any descriptions of those courses?

If you look at the physics program for a typical US university, you will find courses with titles such as "Electromagnetism" (or "Electrodynamics"), "Quantum Mechanics", "Thermodynamics", "Statistical Mechanics", etc. There are also usually brief descriptions of the topics covered in the courses, and a list of prerequisite physics and math courses.

jtbell said:
For the physics program, the course titles are so generic and vague that it's impossible to say how they compare to university physics programs in the US. What topics do the three "Theoretical Physics" courses include? Or the four "Matter Structure" courses?

Do you not have any descriptions of those courses?

If you look at the physics program for a typical US university, you will find courses with titles such as "Electromagnetism" (or "Electrodynamics"), "Quantum Mechanics", "Thermodynamics", "Statistical Mechanics", etc. There are also usually brief descriptions of the topics covered in the courses, and a list of prerequisite physics and math courses.
Thanks! Yeah it looks kind of unspecific. Do you have any idea about the mechanical engineering program? Thanks again for the reply

Almost all US and European universities have brochures and websites giving comprehensive details of courses for physics and engineering . Do some research .

Just for interest this is what my old University is currently offering for Mechanical Engineering in UK :

:http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering/beng-mechanical-engineering-h300/#modules=is-expanded&year-1-level-4=is-expanded&year-2-level-5=is-expanded&year-3-level-6=is-expanded

Related to How good is this physics program in Argentina?

1. How does the physics program in Argentina compare to other programs around the world?

The physics program in Argentina is highly regarded and is on par with other top programs around the world. It has a strong emphasis on theoretical and experimental research, and produces highly skilled and knowledgeable graduates.

2. Are there opportunities for research and internships within the physics program in Argentina?

Yes, the physics program in Argentina offers a variety of research opportunities for students, both within the university and through collaborations with other institutions. There are also opportunities for internships in both academic and industrial settings.

3. How well does the physics program in Argentina prepare students for graduate studies?

The physics program in Argentina provides a rigorous and comprehensive education that prepares students for graduate studies in physics. Many graduates go on to pursue advanced degrees at top universities around the world.

4. What unique features does the physics program in Argentina offer?

The physics program in Argentina offers a range of unique features, including access to state-of-the-art research facilities, a diverse and international student body, and opportunities for interdisciplinary studies in fields such as astrophysics and biophysics.

5. Can students in the physics program in Argentina specialize in a specific area of physics?

Yes, students in the physics program in Argentina have the opportunity to specialize in a variety of areas, including theoretical physics, experimental physics, astrophysics, biophysics, and more. The program also offers flexibility for students to tailor their studies to their specific interests and career goals.