How good is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

In summary, the conversation discusses the merits of reading the book "Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov for self-study in mathematics and physics. The speaker shares their personal experience of finding Soviet era textbooks to be helpful in developing an intuitive understanding and recommends checking the author's background before reading. The conversation also touches on the reputation of Soviet books and the importance of avoiding "crackpot" books.
fxdung
Is it worthwhile to read the book Course of Higher Mathematics by Smirnov?It is a serie so may be it easy to read because there are not gaps when reading process occur(?) for self-study mathematics for physics?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
It was useful for my self study of calculus. But I am afraid modern texts has come after it.

Is it out of date?But it cover a broad range of mathematics?

I think it's among the best textbooks on analysis, at least for physicists.

Likes Demystifier, dextercioby, ipsky and 1 other person
But the book written in Soviet period, so I still suspect the qualification of it?(Usually Soviet books are bad books).Is the book a special case?(I know that e.g serie of Landau is good one)

Last edited:
Well, I only know good Russian math and physics textbooks. I guess it's a natural filter. Nobody bothered to translate bad books into English or German ;-)).

Likes Demystifier and anuttarasammyak
I have the book Linear Algebra and Group Theory and it is good, a little advanced for me with my limited LA, but it reads well and the exercises look good.

fxdung said:
But the book written in Soviet period, so I still suspect the qualification of it?(Usually Soviet books are bad books).Is the book a special case?(I know that e.g serie of Landau is good one)
What is a bad book for you?

Check the preface and introduction to ascertain the prerequisite knowledge assumed by the author. Read through a few randomly selected pages to get a feel for the language and presentation style of the author, and to see whether it helps you relate to the concepts. Also check the author's biography and academic lineage.

In my opinion, Soviet era books on physics and mathematics that were translated to English have significantly helped me develop an intuitive understanding, more so than contemporary textbooks. They have generally included well-chosen solved examples and answers to the problems. They write with prudence and generally do not repeat themselves. This demands considerable effort on my behalf, but the joy is exponential. If this suits you, Smirnov's series should help with your self-study.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
fxdung said:
Actually it is the other way around. Books on maths and physics from that period are usually very good. Now the number of crackpots' books so large that I am always skeptical to read any text written in Russian.

Likes vanhees71

Related to How good is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

1. How is the difficulty level of "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

The difficulty level of "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov can vary depending on the individual's mathematical background and proficiency. However, in general, it is considered to be a challenging and comprehensive textbook that covers advanced topics in mathematics.

2. Is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov suitable for self-study?

Yes, "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov is suitable for self-study as it provides clear explanations, examples, and exercises for each topic. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic mathematics before attempting to study this textbook on your own.

3. Does "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov cover all major topics in higher mathematics?

Yes, "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov covers all major topics in higher mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also includes advanced topics such as vector analysis and tensor calculus.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of basic mathematics, including algebra, trigonometry, and geometry, before studying "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov. It is also helpful to have prior knowledge of calculus and linear algebra.

5. Is "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov a good reference for advanced mathematics?

Yes, "A Course of Higher Mathematics" by Smirnov is a highly regarded textbook among mathematicians and is often used as a reference for advanced topics in mathematics. It provides in-depth explanations and a wide range of exercises, making it a valuable resource for those studying higher mathematics.