Who's familiar with all: Piskunov, Fichtenhols, and Smirnov?

• Calculus
  • Thread starter Humanlimits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    calculus
In summary, the "Russian" type of math approach is a mix of rigor with lots of examples from physics and engineering, combined with calculus/analysis pedagogy. The texts mentioned, Differential and Integral Calculus by NS Piskunov, Fundamentals of Mathematical Analysis by GM Fichtenholz, and Course of Higher Mathematics by VI Smirnov, were studied by both physicists and engineers and have been translated into many languages. While the prefaces and tables of contents do not show a stark contrast between the books, the authors occasionally gave each other suggestions. Smirnov's five volumes are particularly appealing for their comprehensive coverage and potential to supplement specialized content. The Piskunov volumes were used in the early 80s at
Humanlimits
I am very interested in the "russian" type of math approach, a mix of rigor with lots of examples from physics and engineering mixed in with the calculus/analysis pedagogy. It also fascinates me that the same texts were studied by both physicists and engineers of the time period; so lauded after, they were translated into many languages and spread outside the eastern bloc. I'm not looking for suggestions but would be happy to hear from anyone who is familiar with the following texts:

Differential and Integral Calculus - NS Piskunov
Fundamentals of Mathematical Analysis - GM Fichtenholz
Course of Higher Mathematics - VI Smirnov (vol 1&2 on calculus)

I would like to know if the texts are in any way markedly different enough to select one over the other. As far as I can tell from the prefaces and tables of contents, it is hard to find a stark contrast between the books; the authors occasionally gave each other suggestions even!

I am especially interested on reading Smirnov because I like the idea of finishing all five volumes as a good mathematical foundation while reading supplementary/specialized content. Thanks in advance for any relevant thoughts.

Likes madscientist_93
Physics news on Phys.org
I used the Piskunov volumes in my undergrad math curriculum at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in the early 80s. Good books with lots of problems, but a bit dry. I still have my copies on my bookshelf.

Likes madscientist_93
Fikhtengol'ts is roughly regarded as the best and hardest of the three at the topics it does, but Piskunov sometimes does things in a nicer way and does more on a few things, while Smirnov will skip smaller topics but still do crazy things in Fikhtengol'ts and overall cover way more and sometimes do more advanced versions of the material the others cover, so you can't go wrong with any choice, or choosing them all.

Likes madscientist_93

Related to Who's familiar with all: Piskunov, Fichtenhols, and Smirnov?

1. Who are Piskunov, Fichtenhols, and Smirnov?

Piskunov, Fichtenhols, and Smirnov are all Russian mathematicians who made significant contributions in the fields of calculus and differential equations.

2. What are some of Piskunov's contributions?

Piskunov is most well-known for his work on differential and integral calculus, as well as his textbook "Calculus for Technical Schools". He also made contributions to the study of differential equations and the theory of functions.

3. What is Fichtenhols known for?

Fichtenhols is best known for his work on differential equations, particularly his book "Differential Equations for Engineers". He also made contributions to the fields of mechanics and mathematical physics.

4. What are some notable achievements of Smirnov?

Smirnov is known for his work on the theory of functions of a complex variable, as well as his contributions to the study of differential equations and mathematical physics. He also wrote several textbooks on calculus and differential equations.

5. How did these mathematicians influence the field of mathematics?

Piskunov, Fichtenhols, and Smirnov all made significant contributions to the fields of calculus and differential equations, which have had a lasting impact on mathematics. Their textbooks and research have been used by countless students and researchers, and continue to be studied and built upon today.